The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road
Default Any recommendations on where to buy SW flies on line

I hope this is appropriate to ask forum members... I don't tie flies (at least not yet anyway) and so I need to buy a handful of Deceivers, Clousers, and Poppers for a March trip down to Costa Rica (Pacific Coast). If anyone has a recommendation for a good price to quality place to buy SW flies on-line, please let me know. Thanks, in advance.

the Kingfish
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any recommendations on where to buy SW flies on line

Right now Sierra Trading Post has a good selection of saltwater flies for cheap. The quality of their flies is usually pretty good. I think a lot of them come from umpqua.

They have a 3 dozen bonefish and permit mix for $70 right now too. If you are not sure what to buy, listen to the Orvis POdcast on intro to saltwater...he list his 3 or so flies that he would not travel without.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Saltwater Flies :: Flies :: Little River Outfitters
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM

theflysthelimit is on a distinguished road

I only say this because you ask, and apologize in advance if it breaks any rules.

Feel free to try mine here at The Fly's The Limit Quality Fly Fishing Flies and Supplies at unbeatable prices. Free shipping over $30 - Hand tied flies with finest US materials, lines, leaders, tools, rods, boxes and accessories.. I'm happy to give forum members a 30% discount - I can send you a coupon code via email. I guarantee they are high quality - or money back. All hand tied with finest US materials.

Steve

http://www.theflysthelimit.com/
Old 01-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

KF
Given SW flies are some of the easiest flies to tie, particularly given their size I would really recommend giving it a try.
Look on YouTube and you'll see how easy a Clouser is to tie. Great fun in the winter nights and there is nothing better catching a fish on a fly you tied. Clompletes the circle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
KF
Given SW flies are some of the easiest flies to tie, particularly given their size I would really recommend giving it a try.
Look on YouTube and you'll see how easy a Clouser is to tie. Great fun in the winter nights and there is nothing better catching a fish on a fly you tied. Clompletes the circle.

I agree with this. Saltwater tying is much more fun than tying trout flies with tiny, finicky materials. The materials can be cheaper as well.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions, guys (and gals - if any there B). I have been giving some thought to tying 'em myself and I am encouraged by hearing they are fairly easy to tie. Right now, I'm spending my $$$ on a reel, rod and line and will need to "find" another $500 or so ( I'm just guessing) to get set up for tying my own. I agree that there would be the satisfaction of catching fish on flys of tied myself - I've reloaded bullets forever -. So , we shall see. In the meantime, I'll get some flies off the net (thanks again for the suggestions) and look into the equipment and materials I'll need to start tying myself.

the Kingfish
Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

KF
More like $50-70 to get started, if that.
A vise costs little and you can buy kits. No need to spend a fortune to start off with, if you like it then you can buy the nice stuff.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I agree on the tying your own.....4 or 5 nice bucktails and 3 or 4 packs of strung saddle hackle, a package of shiney stuff, a spool of thread and a bobbin will get you started along with a cheap vise. Hours of fun tying and daydreaming about the fish your flies will catch. I forgot some lead barbells and some beadchain for eyes. You will also need a sheet or two of craft foam for crease flies.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM

feathrflickr is on a distinguished road

I agree with the above comments, but if you end up buying your flies I would strongly recommend going and looking at 239flies.com. I bought a few from him before I started tying and they are truly works of art that catch fish. He can also customize any flies you see on the website to whatever specification you want. i.e. size, weight, colors.239 Flies