The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anybody using a 6 or even 5 wt in the salt?

Caught a million yellowtails with a 6wt. It's a blast. Ten times better than something ridiculous like using a 9wt on them. I broke my old 6wt when a tank fell on it and didn't replace it. For the longest time my smallest rod was an 8. I missed the smaller outfit.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
For many SW species the usual 9 or. 10 wt is overkill. Like Ard when I was a kid starting out all I had was a 5 wt Wonderrod and caught many small and medium size Bluefish ( even a couple of big ones , but that's a story in itself) as well as schoolie Stripers , Flounder and various other bottom species .
That was a long time ago but I still do it when going after Schoolie Bass and Cocktail Blues ! And when I go to the Keys nothing better on the variety of Jacks,Snappers, Grunts and others ! And it's a blast !
Wintertime two little Herring on a tandem fly rig on the 5 will put a trout to shame ! Same with Boston Mackeral!

I never thought to head out with a 5 for herring.....<wheels starting to turn>
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've been undergunned and I won't be doing it again.

One night in the pitch dark, I hooked a fish that I couldn't turn with the 6wt that I was using. Fortunately the tippet parted before the rod did. It looked like something out of an Uglystick commercial. I was lucky just to hold on.

Never saw that fish and I've never used anything lighter than an 8wt in the salt since.
bmbailes and labradorguy like this.