The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody using a 6 or even 5 wt in the salt?

I have a ten foot 6 wt St Croix. Imperial ( St Croix' most recent version of the. Imperial )that I find versatile in the salt sometimes and just a verstile all around rod, wondering if anybody else uses a 6 or 5.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Anybody using a 6 or even 5 wt in the salt?

Hi,

I did when that was all I had, I even caught flounder with it. I used a 7'9" Far & Fine and fished for whatever I could catch. Some of the fish I caught I am not sure what they were Obviously it can be done, we just have to pick our fights carefully.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 AM

bluemoon is on a distinguished road

I use a Sage 5110 Z-Axis in the salt for cutties and pinks. I used a Sage 6110 XP in the past.

Troy
Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

For many SW species the usual 9 or. 10 wt is overkill. Like Ard when I was a kid starting out all I had was a 5 wt Wonderrod and caught many small and medium size Bluefish ( even a couple of big ones , but that's a story in itself) as well as schoolie Stripers , Flounder and various other bottom species .
That was a long time ago but I still do it when going after Schoolie Bass and Cocktail Blues ! And when I go to the Keys nothing better on the variety of Jacks,Snappers, Grunts and others ! And it's a blast !
Wintertime two little Herring on a tandem fly rig on the 5 will put a trout to shame ! Same with Boston Mackeral!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I started in the salt with a glass 6wt too, but I wouldn't recommend it.
You should always be prepared to hook and land the largest fish likely to be in the area and do it without unreasonable stress to the fish.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

I would chase and sight cast to redfish with a 6 weight if the wind in our Texas marshes and on our flats would allow. I usually use an 8 but just replaced my 8 with a ultra fast 7 for stalking redfish.

Capt. Scott Null posted some pictures on his facebook page of some bull reds up to 26 lbs he caught on a 4 weight rod yesterday in the Louisiana marshes. He commented that he whipped the fish pretty quick and landed them quickly. It can be done.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Speckled Trout on a 6 wt is a blast.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM

9iron will become famous soon enough

You'll find that most guys chasing sea run cutts in Puget Sound throw 5's and 6's.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I did when that was all I had, I even caught flounder with it.
For several years all I had too was a 6 wt, so used it in any type of water. However, my "saltwater" fishing with it was brackish water, not true salt. I did however manage to catch & land schoolie size Stripers, Bluefish and even a few Flounders with it. Caught a lot of tidal LM bass with it too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I use a 6wt almost daily in the salt here,uplined with 7wt lines.Never had any issues being undergunned.Just keep your tippet at #15 or better.Ive landed some nice fish like stripers to #10 and flounder,blues,shad,trout and redfish.Lots of fun on smaller fish.