The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM

sterling woodsman is on a distinguished road
Default Destin/Panama City Area

My family has a place in Seagrove (in between Panama City and Destin). I want to get down there and do some saltwater fishing.

Never done any saltwater fishing so I am curious what all there is to go after down there and where I might go. There is a fly fishing outfitter down there that offers bay fishing and beach fishing (they say in casting distance of the beach). So can you just fish from the beach/sandbars? And are there any flats down there?

I think I am going to get a 9' 8 wt.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Destin/Panama City Area

Oh also what are good times to go after particular species
Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

You can catch some trout, sheepshead, reds, that sort of thing but it's pretty slow when it's this cold. (My family lives there and they told me it snowed the other day....) Give it a month or so and it will be much better. The fish will get back out on the flats. If you go now, you have to look for holes and whatnot around river mouths and you have to hit it on the tail end of an incoming tide so the fish will wake up a little... lol.

I've never been much for surf fishing except for sharks. I'd much rather get back in a bay and chase the reds. There aren't "flats" in the same sense as what you find in the Keys. You're looking at a lot more sediment coming in and softer bottoms when you're in the lagoons. But they have their pluses. A nice red will give you a real workout.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
You can catch some trout, sheepshead, reds, that sort of thing but it's pretty slow when it's this cold. (My family lives there and they told me it snowed the other day....) Give it a month or so and it will be much better. The fish will get back out on the flats. If you go now, you have to look for holes and whatnot around river mouths and you have to hit it on the tail end of an incoming tide so the fish will wake up a little... lol.

I've never been much for surf fishing except for sharks. I'd much rather get back in a bay and chase the reds. There aren't "flats" in the same sense as what you find in the Keys. You're looking at a lot more sediment coming in and softer bottoms when you're in the lagoons. But they have their pluses. A nice red will give you a real workout.
Yes it did snow there the other day. I was in birmingham which was chaos.

so not flats like what I was thinking. yeah i really want to go after reds
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

I guess it depends on your definition of "flats".... Shallow areas that fish cruise across and feed? Yes, they have them. The classic turquoise bonefish flats that everyone imagines and that is always on the cover of magazines... not so much.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

Used to fish the gulf around Seagrove with the fly rod. Had some great redfish action.....all big reds. Would show up when the weather turned in early spring. The gulf in that area has a trough right off the beach ....then goes up to a sand bar.....then gradually tapers out to deep water. So now the secret......
Get a ladder!!!! Wade out thru the first trough and set up on the sand bar.
You will have some great sight fishing you never will know xisted if you stay on the beach.
The ladder use...lowes.....step stool. Aluminum...2 plastic steps...then a big plastic standing step..
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
Used to fish the gulf around Seagrove with the fly rod. Had some great redfish action.....all big reds. Would show up when the weather turned in early spring. The gulf in that area has a trough right off the beach ....then goes up to a sand bar.....then gradually tapers out to deep water. So now the secret......
Get a ladder!!!! Wade out thru the first trough and set up on the sand bar.
You will have some great sight fishing you never will know xisted if you stay on the beach.
The ladder use...lowes.....step stool. Aluminum...2 plastic steps...then a big plastic standing step..
Veeerrryyy interesting. I'm very familiar with this and have waded out to the sandbars and seen fish plenty of times so I'm definitely going to try that. Thanks. Are there reds there past the sandbar or are you targeting other fish?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Not to hijack the thread, but I've also been looking at heading down to the panhandle sometime in the next year, and was wondering about access. Is a kayak or other watercraft basically required, or is wading an option? I guess I'm wondering if the shallow areas are so silt-laden as to make wading a challenge.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

I waded out to the bar past the first trough....then waded out to about waist deep. When. I stood on the ladder my feet were about even with the water level....as long as the waves didn't break exactly on my ladder I could take the waves pretty good.
Was targeting reds and they ran a bit farther out....I could see them run the outer wave line.
But...right at your feet I'd see pompano, shark, and a lot of rays.
Before I got turned onto the ladder trick I'd stand there. For an hour and not see squat....with. The ladder elevation you get great visibility. See things you never thought were out there.
Was great seeing the bait schools run the beach with all sorts of followers.
As far as a fly.....white deceiver did the trick. I'd pull it down the face of the rollers and the reds would follow it surfing down the front.....great stuff!!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
I stood on the ladder my feet were about even with the water level....as long as the waves didn't break exactly on my ladder I could take the waves pretty good.
so when you hooked a fish would you hop off the ladder or fight from up there? Seems like it would be pretty unstable in the soft sand with the waves crashing.