The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 AM

jtbgator is on a distinguished road
Default Recommended Saltwater Setup

Hello, new member here...I hail from Texas. My wife and I are headed to Aruba in May and naturally, I'll be fly fishing. I'll be targeting bonefish, small tarpon and possibly permit.

I know nothing about saltwater fly fishing as I only fly fish the Texas freshwaters and need some advice/suggestions on setups. The guide I'm going out with recommended an 8 or 9wt rod, a reel with at least 100 yards of backing, 10-12 lb leaders, WT/F 9 or 9 wt floating line.

Seems simple but can anyone stear me in the right direction on specific rods/reels I should be looking at? I don't want to break the bank either, so I'd be looking for a complete setup right around $300 or so.

Most important would be finding a reel with a good drag system. Can anyone recommend one for me?

Does anyone have insight to the Sage Flight 990-4 9' 9 wt. 4 piece rod?

If anyone has anything for sale, please let me know.

Thanks!
James
Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Recommended Saltwater Setup

A 9wt on a Caribbean flat is like a 5wt on a trout stream. It's versatile. It's bigger than what I like for bones and smaller than what I like for permit and tarpon. If I was going for a slam and had to pick one rod for it, it would be a 9wt.... but I would much rather carry two, (accidents happen). I've no idea where you are going to find a decent rod and a reel with a good drag for $300 though. Craigslist maybe? There are deals to be had there. Buying new, I just don't believe they exist.
jbird likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have never been to Aruba but I am unaware of any flats there and have heard nothing about fly fishing opportunities. Anyone know anything about fishing there?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 AM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

I knew some guys that went there and pounded the mangroves, but they went for the partying, not the fishing. IDK- I've never been there either and it's not a place I've ever looked into.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

Maybe an Orvis Clearwater combo? Or a TFO Rod, Okuma Integrity reel, and some line?

Used would be the route I would go. You could get a lot more rod and reel for the money.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:14 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

A 7wt would be plenty for bones. A 9wt should be plenty for 'small' tarpon and smallish permit and will handle some wind too. Don't know anything about Aruba either.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM

I am looking for a good quality used setup yes, I prefer not to buy a brand new setup. I'm currently looking at several options...Sage Flight, Scott 908, Orvis Clearwater. I have time since my trip isn't until May. I'll keep searching.

Check out this website on fly fishing in Aruba.

Fly Fishing Aruba :: Home
Old 02-13-2014, 01:54 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I was going to suggest a trip to Orvis because they can set you up with everything you would need. The Clearwater's are excellent rods that use the old Helios tapers and are probably the lightest rods in their price range.

Another thing to do is head over to the big auction site. I am always looking for rods on there and can tell you that lots of 8 and 9 weights come up at very attractive prices including many TFO BVK and TiCRXs as well as previous generation Orvis rods.

I also saw a new Greys GRXi+ 8 wt for just over $100 yesterday.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
A 7wt would be plenty for bones.
You're fishing the wrong flats....
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
Another thing to do is head over to the big auction site. I am always looking for rods on there and can tell you that lots of 8 and 9 weights come up at very attractive prices including many TFO BVK and TiCRXs as well as previous generation Orvis rods.

I also saw a new Greys GRXi+ 8 wt for just over $100 yesterday.
hmmm...interesting...what is the big auction site?