The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By oregonism
  • 1 Post By oregonism

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default The Unicorn...

So, saw my first permit today.

Not necessarily a big deal for people who see them often, but this was a little more special. I was checking out this little pocket flat, mainly to target snappers and jacks on the surrounding coral heads. I am just walking out on some turtle grassy marl type stuff, and I see a fairly large tail pop up.

I sort of started to think "that looks a bit large to be a permit", so I went a bit closer thinking it was some sort of jack or trevally. At about 30-40ft, I cast my size two clouser directly in front of it and start to strip... no response. He keep happily nibbling on whatever he is eating, tail flashing in the sun, and my blood pressure starts to rise. Take a few more casts, and nothing. Tail is gone, so I just assumed he vanished... I was pretty certain it was a permit at this point.

I am debating changing to a crab fly, when I see the tail again. I panic a bit, take one more nervous cast and line the fish. He bolts around the flat and directly in front of me, about a rods length away. I've never held a permit before, but this fish looked large. If I'd have to guess, he was well over 30 pounds... it looked, well, big.

My 8-weight would have folded under a fish that size, so I was just happy to have the opportunity to even see him and take a few token casts at him. Certainly made my day, as I wasn't expecting to see much of anything.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Unicorn...

Very cool! I'll bet that got your heart pumping for the rest of the day !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Very cool! That'll keep ya comin back! I think the most nervous Ive ever been with a flyrod was a situation just like that. I can feel your joy
Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, it was very intense, sort of hands-shaking, poor-decision making intense... sort of spent the rest of the day thinking about what I would have done differently, switching to a crab fly, etc. I just couldn't believe I was able to get as close as I did.

Oh, and I should mention this flat was all of about the size of the average front yard... maybe 50x50ft. I didn't think I'd see any flats species at all, let alone a pig of a permit
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Good job and a nice story. We learn from our experiences - and I have learned a little something from you tale also. That one whopper Permit will keep you going back to the same little flats for a looong time, I'm guessing. And when you do finally hook her, I'm betting your 8 wt. will be just fine!

the Kingfish
Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That would definitely get my adrenalin going! Landing one would even be better, it is definitely something I would love to do someday.

Larry