The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jbird
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By grtlksmarlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 AM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about
Default Loreto Mexico in March

The wife booked a cheap cruise out of LA to Mexico in March. One of the stops is Loreto, which I know is famed for its summer dorado fishing. My question is this: is it worth dropping $400-500 for a panga/guide for a day in March? From what I can tell, it's not a great time, any fishing would be along the shore; maybe some yellowtail, rooster fish, I'm not really sure, but no dorado that it's famous for. I'm going to call one of the guide services down their but you know what you're going to hear: "sure, it will be great, book with us." Appreciate any unbiased advice you all may have.

Tom
Old 02-18-2014, 01:27 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Loreto Mexico in March

You are correct. There could be Yellowtail and if you catch it right it could blow your mind! There may be small roosters and jacks inshore along with the usual suspects os cabrilla, pargo, ladyfish and possibly pompano. the biggest problem is the dreaded north wind. it is a fishermans nightmare and it is very prevalent that time of year.

you could go without a reservation to fish and if the conditions are ideal when youre there, you can always find someone to take you out. That is not high time at all so you might be able to haggle a really nice price for a day on the water. If all the fly guides are booked (which I doubt in March) you can hire a panguero to take you out to the fish. he will get you to the fish and throw chum to light them up and you just cast. Make sure you tell him very clearly that you want to release fish (if you do) or they'll have your fish gaffed before you even know what happened.
mcnerney and tpo like this.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
You are correct. There could be Yellowtail and if you catch it right it could blow your mind! There may be small roosters and jacks inshore along with the usual suspects os cabrilla, pargo, ladyfish and possibly pompano. the biggest problem is the dreaded north wind. it is a fishermans nightmare and it is very prevalent that time of year.

you could go without a reservation to fish and if the conditions are ideal when youre there, you can always find someone to take you out. That is not high time at all so you might be able to haggle a really nice price for a day on the water. If all the fly guides are booked (which I doubt in March) you can hire a panguero to take you out to the fish. he will get you to the fish and throw chum to light them up and you just cast. Make sure you tell him very clearly that you want to release fish (if you do) or they'll have your fish gaffed before you even know what happened.
JBird, thanks for the advice, its much appreciated! Yes, I heard about the wind problems in the offseason. Maybe I'll wing it and check out the options/ conditions when I get there.

Tom
Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on contacting anyone, contact Pam Bolles at the Baja Big Fish Company (bajabigfish.com). She could give you the skinny on what's going on. As mentioned, March is not prime time, but there are opportunities, however, you may be limited to using conventional gear.

Dennis
mcnerney and tpo like this.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Though I have experienced April more then March in Loreto Yellowtail is the hot ticket using deep-deep jigs. As to fly fishing personally i found it a bust (though you might catch a predator like a shark or squid if your fly is big enough). The reason that was given me which seemed valid was the degree of plankton in the water up top. Literally (stupidly diving in to see Manta-Rays), I couldn't see 2'.

B.E.F.

p.s. I absolutely loved Loreto. Great place if you're savvy to resorts changing hands and government antics.
mcnerney likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.