The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing The Surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunky_1974 View Post
I'm still undecided on a stripping basket. I plan on fishing at low tide as much as possible and do my best on reading the breaks and small jetties along the beach. I hope the fact that I don't have a basket doesn't come back to bite me.
When I travel, I bring along a bungee cord for a belt (24") and buy a suitable (and disposable) plastic basket at a dollar store.
It's better than nothing and really all you need.

In the past as an alternative I've tucked my hat brim into my belt and used the hat as a stripping basket with some success too.

If you're using any kind of sinking line, you'll find that a stripping basket is nearly indispensable.
Personally, I use a floating line in the surf 90% of the time as I like the line control that only a floating line can have.
With the floating line, there's less need for a stripping basket and if you look at the picture in my first post in this thread, you'll see that my stripping basket is behind my back.
"Conventional wisdom" dictates that you can't use a floating line in the surf. That's just plain wrong.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
von behr....I would be very interested in the sand crab pattern that you use. I have been looking for a good pattern. A pic and/or a recipe would be great.
Ditz,

These are tied with painted lead dumbbell eyes (small). The first one has rootbeer flash wrapped around the hook to form the body, and a wing and tail of squirrel tail hair. The thread is UTC Ultra Thread 140 flourescent orange

The last fly uses medium rootbeer chenille for the body, a little squirrel tail, rootbeer flash, and orange rubber legs for the tail, and squirrel tail for the wing. The thread is Danville's burnt orange.

Here you go...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 PM

jesse_horine is on a distinguished road

I just want to start out by saying thanks for answering to my thread! It is great to see that people care in the fishing community and its great to see people care enough to share their techniques for others to enjoy the sport!

I like the use of a stripping basket, I have never used one nor have I heard about it but I will give it a try and see how it works! Someone mentioned how to make a home made basket which sounds great for my wallet!

I fish out of north and south carolina for the surf so we do not get the chance to catch stripers on the surf (unless I get proven wrong) like the pictures in this thread. It looks like a blast and a challenge and I can add catching them in cold waters to my bucket list.

Sense I am new to fly fishing I only have a 4wt rod without a sinking line, I want to buy a spare spool for the reel with a sinking line but not many people do it so there is not much information for what line works best with each length. I also plan to buy an 8wt in the future when I can save enough money to buy it along with the sinking or intermediate line.

Thank you for the pictures of clousers and other streamers, I currently tie clousers of all types of colors (mostly chartreuse/white) so while I experiment with them on the coast this year I will be glad to share my information with anyone who is interested. I also want to buy a few sand flea imitations and sense I can't find one online that I really like I think i will take it upon myself to invent my own. Maybe I will share this on a thread when the time comes.

I plan to take some notes on all the precious replies and this summer and fall while I am knee deep in salty carolina shores I will find the methods that seem to work best! Thanks for the replies and tight lines!

-Jesse Horine

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Thank you Von Behr for posting your patterns, I will try to imitate them as best I can for my trips. They look better then most if not all the flies that I have seen online that resemble sand fleas. Great job!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

Really glad I found this thread, as I'll be trying my hand at surf fishing at the OBX in a few months.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Thank You von behr.......I am heading for the vise now to tie up a couple of each for my next trip to the briny.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM

spoton will become famous soon enough

I live on the Gulf Coast (AL) and just posted a long winded response to Fly Fishing Destin about beach fishing.

Fly fishing in Destin

I don't use a stripping basket because I'm usually too deep for it to be useful and having a wave land in the basket is not good.

Water here is warm, so we get out in it. Chartruese/White clousers are great beach flies.