The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   One Surf Fly Fishing Event (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/349345-one-surf-fly-fishing-event.html)

von behr 04-19-2014 11:50 PM

One Surf Fly Fishing Event

Last weekend, I participated in the One Surf Fly Beach Classic at Rincon Beach between Santa Barbara and Ventura. There were 70 anglers, which is a record turnout for the annual event.

About 170 fish were caught in two hours. Then came the BBQ, awards, and raffle. It was an awesome event. I had no idea there were so many bug chuckers around here!

To enter the event, all you had to do was show up with a fly. The fly was logged in and placed in a bag with the other 69 flies. Each participant randomly drew a fly from the bag, and that was all you could use for the event. If you lost your fly, you were done.

Prizes were given out for first fish caught, biggest fish caught, and most fish caught. The raffle was huge, and raised $3,200 for the Santa Barbara Land Trust, a local charity that purchases and preserves coastal land.

Here's the group shot:

http://onesurffly.files.wordpress.co...up_logoweb.jpg

For more pics of the event, check out One Surf Fly Beach Classic... just one! | official site and updates

-VB

riderfisher 04-21-2014 05:32 PM

Re: One Surf Fly Fishing Event

Von, that sounds like it was alot of fun. I would totally have signed up for that if I were able, just to give it a try and see what I could learn.

Wish I was closer to the surf at home, guess I'll just have to make do with business trip opportunities for now. I have several threads saved about surf fishing, so will probably give it a try it in July when I am in Irvine, CA for work. Also have three trips to Florida coming up in the fall, so maybe get some practice in there as well.

Nice that it benefitted a charity, as well! :thmbup:

littledavid123 04-21-2014 06:11 PM

That does indeed sound like a lot of fun but tell us, where there many stinker plugs in the bag? I personally wouldn't think so but bet the thought was there. :D

Dave

Hardyreels 04-21-2014 06:23 PM

Eric, that is very cool! I received your PM and will be in touch soon.

grtlksmarlin 04-21-2014 11:09 PM

Sounds like a blast!....What a great concept too, one that could be applied to any type of fish species.

B.E.F.

nir 04-22-2014 07:52 AM

Wow! Looks like a fun event!! Thanks for sharing!

trout trekker 04-22-2014 09:53 AM

We’re going to have to get our collective rears in gear and come down for this event next year. It looks like waaaaaaaaaaay to much fun to miss another one.

Dave

von behr 04-23-2014 10:19 AM

Guys, it was an interesting format. The incentive to contribute a worthy fly was the fact that you wanted to receive a good one for yourself, but also the fly tyers were rewarded for the first fish, big fish, and most fish along with the anglers in those categories. For those who don't tie, they could bring a store-bought fly. The organizers also had a collection of flies on hand to throw in the pot if needed. That level of accomodation was great, so it wouldn't discourage folks who are new to the sport or who don't tie their own.

The flies had to be on size 2-6 hooks and had to be a variant of a weighted Clouser. Color, style and materials varied widely.

I contributed one of my best producing surf flies for the event.

I received a nice red and white Clouser that I thought would put me in the hunt. However, I ended up with no fish...not even one bite.

The guys on either side of me were a bit dismayed by the olive-colored flies they drew, but they both caught fish, so obviously the size and color they used were good for that particular morning.

Normally, if a spot isn't producing, I will change location and change flies. In this case, I couldn't change flies, and there were so many anglers, it wasn't easy to move without crowding other people, so I stayed put. I knew fish were around, but I just wasn't getting any love from them.

That's fishing! I still had a great time with my friends and met lots of new people as well.

Riderfisher, send me a PM before you head out this way. Maybe we can meet for a surf session when you're out here.

-VB

riderfisher 05-02-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by von behr (Post 660955)
Riderfisher, send me a PM before you head out this way. Maybe we can meet for a surf session when you're out here.

-VB

Thanks Von, I will do that, much appreciated; I should know about when I'll be coming out by the beginning of June or so, depending on construction. First round of beverages will be on me. :)

von behr 05-04-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riderfisher (Post 664157)
Thanks Von, I will do that, much appreciated; I should know about when I'll be coming out by the beginning of June or so, depending on construction. First round of beverages will be on me. :)

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it.