The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By von behr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 11:50 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default One Surf Fly Fishing Event

Last weekend, I participated in the One Surf Fly Beach Classic at Rincon Beach between Santa Barbara and Ventura. There were 70 anglers, which is a record turnout for the annual event.

About 170 fish were caught in two hours. Then came the BBQ, awards, and raffle. It was an awesome event. I had no idea there were so many bug chuckers around here!

To enter the event, all you had to do was show up with a fly. The fly was logged in and placed in a bag with the other 69 flies. Each participant randomly drew a fly from the bag, and that was all you could use for the event. If you lost your fly, you were done.

Prizes were given out for first fish caught, biggest fish caught, and most fish caught. The raffle was huge, and raised $3,200 for the Santa Barbara Land Trust, a local charity that purchases and preserves coastal land.

Here's the group shot:

http://onesurffly.files.wordpress.co...up_logoweb.jpg

For more pics of the event, check out One Surf Fly Beach Classic... just one! | official site and updates

-VB
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One Surf Fly Fishing Event

Von, that sounds like it was alot of fun. I would totally have signed up for that if I were able, just to give it a try and see what I could learn.

Wish I was closer to the surf at home, guess I'll just have to make do with business trip opportunities for now. I have several threads saved about surf fishing, so will probably give it a try it in July when I am in Irvine, CA for work. Also have three trips to Florida coming up in the fall, so maybe get some practice in there as well.

Nice that it benefitted a charity, as well!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

That does indeed sound like a lot of fun but tell us, where there many stinker plugs in the bag? I personally wouldn't think so but bet the thought was there.

Dave
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Eric, that is very cool! I received your PM and will be in touch soon.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2014, 11:09 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a blast!....What a great concept too, one that could be applied to any type of fish species.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Wow! Looks like a fun event!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

We’re going to have to get our collective rears in gear and come down for this event next year. It looks like waaaaaaaaaaay to much fun to miss another one.

Dave
Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Guys, it was an interesting format. The incentive to contribute a worthy fly was the fact that you wanted to receive a good one for yourself, but also the fly tyers were rewarded for the first fish, big fish, and most fish along with the anglers in those categories. For those who don't tie, they could bring a store-bought fly. The organizers also had a collection of flies on hand to throw in the pot if needed. That level of accomodation was great, so it wouldn't discourage folks who are new to the sport or who don't tie their own.

The flies had to be on size 2-6 hooks and had to be a variant of a weighted Clouser. Color, style and materials varied widely.

I contributed one of my best producing surf flies for the event.

I received a nice red and white Clouser that I thought would put me in the hunt. However, I ended up with no fish...not even one bite.

The guys on either side of me were a bit dismayed by the olive-colored flies they drew, but they both caught fish, so obviously the size and color they used were good for that particular morning.

Normally, if a spot isn't producing, I will change location and change flies. In this case, I couldn't change flies, and there were so many anglers, it wasn't easy to move without crowding other people, so I stayed put. I knew fish were around, but I just wasn't getting any love from them.

That's fishing! I still had a great time with my friends and met lots of new people as well.

Riderfisher, send me a PM before you head out this way. Maybe we can meet for a surf session when you're out here.

-VB
Old 05-02-2014, 03:10 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Riderfisher, send me a PM before you head out this way. Maybe we can meet for a surf session when you're out here.

-VB
Thanks Von, I will do that, much appreciated; I should know about when I'll be coming out by the beginning of June or so, depending on construction. First round of beverages will be on me.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfisher View Post
Thanks Von, I will do that, much appreciated; I should know about when I'll be coming out by the beginning of June or so, depending on construction. First round of beverages will be on me.
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it.