The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By briant
  • 2 Post By spoton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM

briant is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing in Destin

Hi folks, I need some advice on gear and tackle. I am going to Destin Florida in June and i am planning on doing some fishing while I am there. I will be fishing the surf mostly. Last time i visited we caught a lot of lady fish on spinning tackle but i just got onto flyfishing a few months ago (still a noob &#128517 and want to use it there. The gear I will bring is a TFO Pro II 7wt and a TFO LA Prism Cast reel with 20Ib backing and floating line. Do you guys think my gear can handle ocean fish? My next question is, what kind of flies and fly sizes should I bring?
I know just about nothing about fishing in saltwater so any tips would help. Thank you!
flyrodorbust likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:31 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly fishing in Destin

Yeah, a 7-wt rod will work; heavier would be better, but that will work.
Read this thread about Gulf Shores (AL), then post questions. Same stretch of Gulf coast and same techniques:

Gulf Shores
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I am no expert but I have fished the beach at Navarre not far from Destin. All I caught there was Lady fish and a 7wt will easily handle them. A 5wt would be better but I struggled with the 5wt. However I was told to shorten my leader on the 5wt and things will go better. I have not yet been back to try it.

I caught them right at the sand at daybreak. An hour after daybreak the bite was over and the beach got too busy anyway. I had my success on size 2 thru 6 schminnows. with pearl estaz and white marabou with medium bead chain eyes. I used floating lines. If I go back I also intend to wade out to the sand bar and fish off the outside edge with some bigger streamers. Maybe clousers and Blondes. I will also take some sand flea immatations to see if I can hook up on some pompano. I also hear that some small to medium clousers in pink and chart. will work. ........be sure and give us land lubbers a report on you adventure.

Don't know how long you will be there but the last time I was there it cost $13 for a 3 day out of state license. It was $45 for all year.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 AM

spoton will become famous soon enough

Welcome to my world!

I live on the Gulf Coast (AL) and fish the beach - including FL - often. I was catching pomps at a beach east of Destin last week.

We use mostly one fly - a Clouser. Our variation (Called Chuck's Beach Clouser or CBC for short) is tying it with artifical fibers like Supreme Hair or Steve Farrar Blend (my favorite). Our two main color combos are chartruese / whtie and olive/white. These will catch everything that swims the beaches. The other modification is to lightly coat the head & eyes with epoxy or something. Abrasion with the sand will tear up Deer Hair and thread and destroy your fly almost as fast as the fish.

Our favorite rod is a 10' 7wt, this helps us get the line out of the water and keep a bit more line in the air - big help when you are waist deep. We also use intermediate line most with intermediate tip second, then floating lines. Intermediate line will get down thru the waves and help you stay in contact with your fly. We will go to a bigger rod if the wind demands it. A great day is when the 6wt is called for!

In June there are a LOT of Ladyfish on the beach - fun to catch but not much else. There will also be redfish, speckled trout, bluefish, spanish and pompano (POMPS our target). Ladies are very tough on flies and leaders. We use at least 20# fluoro, but carry 30 & 40# with us in case of spanish and blues.
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...-3-todds-1-jpg

The above link shows a couple of pomps we caught and the CBC is in the pic.

Early morning should give you on off-shore breeze and the calmest conditions. Look for fish right against the shore - cast parallel to the beach some. At low tide, getting on the first sand bar and casting to the outside slope will give you an excellent shot at pomps. Look for cuts and wash-outs along the beach. The more "structure" the more fish; straight, smooth beaches are less productive generally.

Final word: KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL! There are lots of sharks and rays in the surf in June, and probably jellies. I find that most of the sharks are very spooky and don't come to close BUT I don't trust them. We have never had a bad experience, but we have had a lot of close encounters
trout trekker and briant like this.