The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:35 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Circle Hooks

Thanks Ditz,

That particular hook is within 3 thousandths the same wire size as a TMC 4/0 600SP which is a pretty popular hook. The gap is 40 thousandths wider, however, even with the marked turn in 90 degrees toward the shank. I got some 8/0's as well but did not try them yet, but will.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I personally don't the dimensional differences that you are talking about as significant. Metalurgy may be a different story but I know Owner makes some great hooks. Hooks can be straightened but it takes a lot of pressure. Depending on how far the hook is set into the fish. I once caught a large buffalo sucker that was probably 35 or more on a light #4 or 2 Aberdeen jig hook. It did open up a little but not enough to lose the big fella. Of course I was not using a 13wt rod either. ( I was actually using a med. spinning rig at the time ). Maybe the reason I am not so particular about hooks is that I don't fish for records or in Tournaments. Good luck with the circle hooks. I am looking forward to your results.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

I use BKN circle hooks a lot here in Hawaii, but it is always a bait fishing application. For them to work correctly there had to be a slight bit of slack in the line and the fish has to pick up the bait, turn, run, and basically hook themselves. If there is any movement toward the angler or any kind of "set the hook" action it will not result in a hook up. I can see a Tarpon retrieve style technique leaving the angler completely frustrated after every strike.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:17 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I personally don't (think ?)the dimensional differences that you are talking about as significant.
I don't either. I just wanted a big enough gap to be able to get around the wide and thick clipper bone found on fish of 100 and up. That's why I went to a 7/0. It took three sizes bigger hook to get to the same gap as a 4/0 J hook.

2/0's are used pretty commonly in J hooks oceanside, and I've snapped and bent out numerous ones that size (and bigger when hanging onto a long bite tippet- one a 5/0 gami octopus offset (which weakens them some).
Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Man.....I can't imagine the pressure it takes to straighten a heavy wire 4/0 hook. I am sure I am not strong enough to do that myself. Course I am an old fat man
Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have been tying my Carp corn ball on a circle/octopus hook. I love that hook and find I do get more easy lip hooks.
However, I went out yesterday for some quick carp fix. I have a white dog biscuit on a short 8" tag then 24" down I fish the corn ball.
I get to destination and realize I have forgot the net. I opt to try to land them by hand. First carp on, played him a little, got him close to shore, grab tail, drop rod and cradle belly. Okay, that works.
So I cast out and do the same with a couple more. Some on the Biscuit some on corn ball.
Then I hooked into a nice female. She took the biscuit. I get her close to the shore and grab her tail. She twist free, but I felt the brush of that corn ball across my hand. So, I am telling myself, be aware it is there.
I get her close again, and again she flipped away....BUT, this time the feared became reality.
Click the image to open in full size.

These hooks are interesting because not only do they have barbs which I don't squish because they also have a neat little kink at the point of the hook.
Makes it interesting trying to push the hook all the way through to cut off barb....specially left handed.
I still like the hooks.....LOL
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
These hooks are interesting because not only do they have barbs which I don't squish because they also have a neat little kink at the point of the hook.

Makes it interesting trying to push the hook all the way through to cut off barb....specially left handed.
Doh! ...and i bet getting the fish off first was fun.

Then again, guess they work!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The Carp was on the biscuit which I tie using Allen's Fly Fishing SW002 hook and that is squished bar. Simple shake of hook and fish was free. the Glow Bug broke off while in my hand. Never noticed this hook being difficult to release a fish, but then it has only been Carp's big rubbery lips.
I might be using needle nose to squish the barbs from now on though. That way I can leave that neat little kink at the tip.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Now that looks nasty, Joni ! Hooks are always a threat and multiple hooks vastly increase that threat.

Speaking of threats, I was milling some stainless yesterday and it took me a bit to find a pair of safety glasses. There were 4 pair in the center console of the boat. It's hell losing track of where I put things.

Well, hopefully, my buddy Jon will land his first tarpon this afternoon or evening. He swears he's been exercising his casting muscles over the winter this past year and is in good shape.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM

The circle hook tally is now 2 for 7. Two landed for 7 takes but there were likely more takes on the drift that I didn't feel and which left no tell tale abrasions on the bite tippet.

Again, this is not sight fishing during the day, but "blind" casting and casting to busts during happy hour and into the night. So most of the fish are not moving in the same direction as the fly is moving as in fishing traditionally to cruising strings.

Unfortunately, I hooked up first at sundown so it was dark by the time we got back to the tarpon ball. Then Al had a take and missed within 5 minutes then hooked up solid a few minutes later to christen his new Sage One 12 wt he had me pick up at the fly shop after casting it against the Hardy Sintrix.

I hadn't known beforehand that Al had an operation on his left elbox for some kind of pinched nerve syndrome a few months back, and I had only right hand wind 12 wt spools. No time to change out hundreds of yards of backing. But he landed the fish and was in severe pain throughout the timed 50 minute fish fight. So we left right after he landed it. I'll be changing a spool to LH wind in a bit.

I've decided to fish the fly below tonight in order to assure a non-hook up early when searching for the fish. I'd like to get some good pics of Al and don't want to risk a solid hookup and have to leave a hook in a tarpon jaw. It's a 5/0 I snapped off on a large cow when my nephew was here last month.

Click the image to open in full size.
grtlksmarlin and Flygrain like this.