The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all
Default Re: Circle Hooks

Thanks for continuing to share your results!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Thanks for the update. I will be watching this thread.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Well, tarpon season is over for me now. The last two outings each resulted in two fish landed, one fought for half an hour till the tippet broke off close to the boat. I didn't fish but for a few casts the last outing, trying to get my hard-headed buddy to cast in the right direction. So the tally has not changed.

Next season, I will just use flies with the hook snapped off at the bend rather than circle hooks.

The big migratory cows disappeared to spawn (I presume) and all the fish hooked in the last 3 trips were the smaller ones in the 70-90 lb range. Nonetheless, despite the abysmal wind conditions, everyone who went out boated at least one decent tarpon - counting 70-90's as decent. Only two outings resulted in no fish boated, but both those anglers got at least one the next day.

It has been totally flat since the last trip out, and I am catching up on backorders and helping my sister out with a remodel project - no fun for a couple weeks. Next will come some shelving work inside the anchor locker and center console to get it more organized and efficient.
Then it will be bluewater to get some fish in the freezer.

All in all, it was a good shakedown season for the boat, and everyone who fished caught a good tarpon. I know the remaining things I need to do to the boat, and have re-engineered the Q-Beam to make it quick and easy to change bulbs and to bypass the switch in case of a failure - as we had the last time out.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

70-90 pound fish....and now out to offshore fishing. Yeahhhhh, sucks to be you, I feel your pain.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing some real world experiences with circle hooks on the fly!

B.E.F.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
70-90 pound fish....and now out to offshore fishing. Yeahhhhh, sucks to be you, I feel your pain.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing some real world experiences with circle hooks on the fly!

B.E.F.
Better than my FAKE world experiences....(I joke)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I've seen pics of some of the monster trout you've caught, Joni, which were definitely not fake.

Al got some pics our last night out of one of our forum member's landed fish.

We met up with him for a few hours right before happy hour our last day fishing. I emailed them to him. Perhaps after his vacation, he'll relate details of the two protracted fish fights he got into and details having to do with fishing with a couple of crotchety old men.

The actual bay we fished and a special technique I use are both top secret and not for publication of course, but nothing else is - so long as it's about Al and not me
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Better than my FAKE world experiences....(I joke)
Oh no, your recounted real world circle hook experiences were most definitely noted too! If I ever decide to get into S&M, I'll definitely give your methods a try (just teasing )

Seriously though, I've only ever used circle hooks in offshore salt conditions while trolling, and often at a fast run in that often when the fish strikes it instantly turns to as much impede the forward momentum of its prey as much as simply grab it.....So they work well such times (and note Marlin, Tuna and so on have proportionally much thinner lips then what either of you are speaking about).

I never considered using them for Carp, or that matter Bass (where I think they might really shine, Bass so often just gulping down their prey).....Tarpon, well, I'm still rather hesitant to consider such, so it has made for an interesting read all around!

Thanks folks

B.E.F.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Circle hooks and Tarpon go together like cookies and milk! As long as you let the Tarpon set the hook for you. Took me a while to get used to that but once you learn the technique of waiting on the tight line it's the best hook hold ever on the silver rockets !!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser