The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 PM

effisher is on a distinguished road
Default How to Sac River Shad?

Long time reader first time poster. Awesome and informative forum!
So I'm relatively new to fly fishing and I think I've figured out a lot. I need some pointers on how to fish for shad for the first time.
I'm from Chico, California and the Sacramento River outside of town is notorious for being one of the best places to fish for shad during the run.
Here is what I know and some of my questions.
I've fished for Shad on a spin rod before, didn't catch any, but found that the formula is to bottom bounce the jig. I assume its the same on a fly rod? I only have a floating line so maybe a sinking polyleader or a bunch of split shots will work? When the shad strike is it a violent take or is it like a carp which feels like a moving snag? And lastly are they generally in the deepest runs or can I find them in the shallows about 5-10ft down?
I appreciate any help. Thanks!