The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SkipS
  • 1 Post By fq13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt freshwater to a saltwater setup???

So, as many of you may have seen in my posts the last 8-10 months, I am new to fly fishing. I have acquired a lot of gear, mostly Allen FF rods/reels, furled leaders, close to 3-400 various flies, lumbar pack, etc, etc. All of this gear is for trout and freshwater. One of my rods is an Allen 6wt 9' Heritage with a Kraken #1. I have all this for my Madison River trip this August.

Here is my question/problem.

My family is going over to Kauai ( Hawaii) in late June. I still have a lot of other gear to pay buy for my Montana trip and don't have the budget to spend another $300 on a whole new low-end 8wt setup. What I need to know is who to set up my 6wt Allen for the saltwater. I know it will be on the light end for the salt. Basically, what size and type of leader should I use for the salt? Stick a 7-9 wt tapered mono leader on it? Still use my 4-6 wt furled leaders and 6' of 3x Tippett? I'd rather spend $50-$75 on leaders and tippets and clousers flies than another rod and real for the salt. Although I only live several miles from the ocean to be angle to use the heavier comb I have other expenses I need to take care of first.

What would your salt water 6wt setup look like? The fish I'm after varies but could range from half pound to a broken rod.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6wt freshwater to a saltwater setup???

I fish a 6wt almost daily in both FW and SW.For the salt I prefer to throw a 7wt intermediate line but also use a floater as well as sinking and sink tip lines.My leader for the floater is usually just a 6 ft piece of #15 mono and 3-4 ft for the int. line.Im fishing for srtipers,flounder,blues and trout so leaders don't need to be long or light.For my fishing I find using the right line to get the fly in front of the fish is the most important thing.If you cant do that it doesn't matter what fly or leader you are using.
mylobass and skrap like this.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I fish the salt here in FL. And the six is my go to rod. The only time Igrab the eight is if its windy or I'm throwing big flies. The ten stays home unless I'm after tarpoN. I fish the mangroves for snook and reds mostly so I rig it like a bass rod. Its got the bass taper WF and I use shorter stout leaders to turn over heavier flies. That Allen Kraken is plenty of reel. Unless you are in blue water 150 yards of backing will do you. Plus you can always back down on the fish. What could go wrong?
mylobass likes this.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

The 6 should do you fine if the wind is not too strong. You didn't say is you tie flies. If you do take some clousers with beadchain eyes and small lead or brass eyes. A few craft fur shrimp in tan in size 4 or 2. A few schminnows with different weight eyes in pearl, tan, pink. A few surface baits like a popper or gurgler. A crab or 2 might be a good idea but I think the other stuff will cover most of your needs. Have fun and don't be afraid to shorten your leader or throw a straight 8# leader.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

10 or 12 foot tapered mono or flouro leaders in 10 or 12#. I would bring WFF and WFI saltwater flylines. Just connect your leaders straight to the fly line. As far as flies... Bring some baitfish pattern deceivers to fish for small Jacks (we call them Papio) and bring some Bonefish flys (we call them O'io) other shrimp or baitfish type flys with weighted dumbbell eyes can be fished on the WFI line a little deeper around coral heads for all sorts of Wrasses, Goatfish, etc. be forewarned the bonefish are big here, you may get your butt spanked on that 6wt. Bring extra line.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:56 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl808 View Post
10 or 12 foot tapered mono or flouro leaders in 10 or 12#. I would bring WFF and WFI saltwater flylines. Just connect your leaders straight to the fly line. As far as flies... Bring some baitfish pattern deceivers to fish for small Jacks (we call them Papio) and bring some Bonefish flys (we call them O'io) other shrimp or baitfish type flys with weighted dumbbell eyes can be fished on the WFI line a little deeper around coral heads for all sorts of Wrasses, Goatfish, etc. be forewarned the bonefish are big here, you may get your butt spanked on that 6wt. Bring extra line.
Great info by all. Thanks so much.

Oldskewl808' yes, the papio are mostly what I'm after just didn't say it as I didn't think most knew what I would be referring to. We would catch bucket fulls on small spinning gear as a kid and fry and eat whole fish (the 3-6" ers).

My Kraken has approx 240 yards of 20# spectra for backing so that should do me well for some bigger fish.

So, it looks like I just need to buy some bit heavier flouro Tippett and an assortment of salt flies and poppers and have at it. Thanks again for all the great info.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Speaking of poppers... Don't forget about the Bass on Kauai. Lemme know if you make it over to Oahu, I'll take you out on some bonefish flats and give you a shot at double digit fish.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

That is a heck of an offer Oldskewl. Makes me want to fly over there myself.

I forgot to remind you to rinse your sweet water gear well after each trip to the salt. Salt is hard on equipment. It is however, well worth the added maintenance.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:16 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

You can certainly use your 6 wt, as noted above, but don't feel like you have to spend $300 to have a useable 8 wt rig if you want one. This 8 wt

Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit : Cabela's

is on sale for $40. I have one and it works just fine. I'm now using a better reel (Allen Kraken) but the rod is just fine, and I used the reel for saltwater several times.

Besides which, if the airline loses or damages it, you will have only lost $40.

Add in a couple of leaders, some tippet material, and a handful of flies, and you'll have everything for less than $80.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.