The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bloomagoo
  • 1 Post By tfrank
  • 1 Post By jpbfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM

redsurfs is on a distinguished road
Default FNG - Tips for Buying Used

Hey guys ... as the title states FNG here.

I have an old 8wt unbranded/marked setup that I have been using for the beginning of the season (schoolie striper) but am looking to step up a bit in quality (which wont be hard since i am using a mishmash of who knows what). I will be using it in the Northeast (RI) primarily for striper / bonito / falsies.

I am looking at and probably going to purchase the following off a semi-local: Redington AS 9/10, extra spool, SFF9092 #9, and aluminum case. Seller says they are lightly used and only a few times at that and he just never go into fly fishing and stuck with spinning and boat gear. Both spools are loaded with backing and fly line (not sure yet of brand or type). Right now I've knocked him down to $150 for the lot.

After finding what I could on a discontinued 10yr old reel, it seems like they were hit or miss with the drag components. Some people had issues and some people didn't. Those that did were able to send it back to Redington under warranty and get them rebuilt ... some even multiple times.

I am looking at this as $150 for a setup that would be good to go with spare spool and two line setups ... that's the price of 2 new fly lines alone! I am looking to see if any of you guys have any insight. Were the AS reels THAT BAD that I should just run? I have no issues with normal rinse downs and lubes if that is all it'll take to run smooth.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:57 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: FNG - Tips for Buying Used

Sounds like you want it. If all is in reasonable condition then go for it. $150 is pretty low risk in my book.
redsurfs likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Low risk I hope. I'll obviously check condition once I see it, check the line and give a few pulls on the drag. Just didn't know if this series was something that would make people scram on sight or if there are any secret things to look for besides the obvious
Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

I've never owned the AS, but have fished a couple. Not to any great extent.

As far as some of the drag failure threads of various reels I've read about (on other forums)... I don't buy it. Drag systems aren't all that complicated. It's a couple pieces rubbing against each other under tension. IIRC they had a clutch bearing, and I find it more likely that would fail. They are only a few bucks if the reel is not covered under warranty because of ownership transfer. Sand/grit getting into any drag can make it ineffective. Normally loosening the drag and flushing it will clear it up. Sometimes complete disassembly and cleaning is required.

If the lines have been stored out of heat (attic) and out of sunlight they should be fine. At $150, it's not a lot of money for a decent set up. I'll say the same thing I always say, get it, learn to use as well as you can. If you end up not liking it you will have something measurable to use to look for what you want. If you end up not liking fly fishing you should be able to recoup most or all of your money.

Edit to add: You posted while I was writing. The only hard to spot thing I would look for would be to remove the spool and check for corrosion around the drag. Some reels (and I think this may be one) need special attention in this area when rinsing.

Also, I wouldn't just dismiss your unmarked, unlabled blank. It may be a good blank. Several manufactures used to send a decal with the blank or mark the blank under the reel seat.
redsurfs likes this.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Met the guy this morning and swapped some colored paper for the gear. Everything looked pretty brand spanking new.
Confirmed he just never got that into fly and stayed with boat s and spinning gear. Casting bothered his shoulders a but and figured he'd just fish with charters he runs.
Came home stripped and washed the line, dropped a few dabs of oil on the reel, and now I'm waiting for the dang wind to die down.
Figured I'd follow up with some pics. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Everything looks in excellent condition....for $150...that's a good deal
redsurfs likes this.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 PM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

I have a Redington AS and several AL's (same reel in a large arbor design). Never had a problem with them. The only negatives I can think of are that they are a bit on the heavy side and have a lot of parts. If the seller is representing that his is only lightly used and in good condition I would guess it is a good deal.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 PM

On the heavy side is right ... no wonder this guy had shoulder problems. I'm happy with it and itll just take a little while to adapt. Might replace one of the lines tho. Looks like there is an intermediate sinking (blue) and a quick sink (black/green). Might keep the intermediate and run a floating ... can't think of when I'd need to sink that fast unless anyone has any input on that too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk