The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 PM

jlockler is on a distinguished road
Default new to fly fishing need advice on a setup

I've been on the water my entire life and I'm ready to try something good new I'm looking to do some fly fishing in the flats around southeast texas mainly for redfish and trout. What size rod and reel should I use there are so many I do t know what I'm looking for. This being my first time and a learning experience I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on the "best in the market" something reasonable. Mainly will fish for reds if that helps also any advice with types of liters to use would be helpful as well. Thanks everyone
Old 06-03-2014, 05:36 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: new to fly fishing need advice on a setup

Having just spent a few days fishing out of SPI on the Laguna Madre, I can say with complete confidence that there are no redfish in southeast Texas. There is, however, lots and lots (and lots) of wind.

Save yourself the trouble and buy a sailboard.

Kidding, of course. Find yourself a decent entry level 8wt; a fast one. What do you consider a "ridiculous amount of money"?

Mike
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 AM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

9ft. 8 wt. fast action is the way to go. Reel with 200 or so yds of backing is plenty. A TFO/Allen fly reel combo is pretty nice and will give you high end performance without the sticker shock. Though if you have the coin a sage or loomis NRX/Hatch combo is about as nice as you can get....better get ready for that $$ though, lmao
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Fast action 8 or 9wt. The 9 will push the wind a little better. A good 7 wt will work but not as good at fighting the wind. My next line will be a SA Mastery Streamer Express floating. Heavy head and long rear taper. Should make quick short casts and long casts if needed. It is also a heavy line by at least a half weight and maybe more.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM

flyakker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockler View Post
I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on the "best in the market" something reasonable.
Bass Pro has a good Reddington set up, it is a 9 ft 8 wt. Rod, reel, line, case are $140. You can get a 10% discount on your entire purchase if you take the free fly casting class they offer. I have had the set up for a couple of years now, on the recommendation of a guy that had been fly fishing for over 70 years. I is a carbon reel, won't rust. That, and some extra line when your tippet runs down and an assortment of flies to try out, and you'll be good! There are some good wind protected areas near Port Bolivar. I don't know where you are going to be fishing, but just ask around. CONSTANTLY! I'm looking for a casting coach, I've gotten better, but haven't put as much time in as I have needed to. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:25 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

A six weight is adequate for the fish. You might want an eight weight for the wind and large flies. That is my arsenal in Florida. I use a Sage RPL on calm days on the flats and an Orvis 8 wt when its windy or I,m getting medieval in a mangrove creek.
I have a nice Basspro house brand 8 wt I,ll let go for $50 if you want a good starter rod. It is geared for bass and will throw a heavy fly for moderate distances, pretty much spot on for reds.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

It really depends on what you see yourself getting into latter. If I were to do it again, I'd pick an 8wt. I started with a 7wt and there were many days in South Texas that were blown out due to the wind. The days when the 7wt was perfect were few and far between. An 8wt will handle the wind better and will serve double duty for fresh water bass. I will throw this out there though, reels are really a matter of pay now or pay later. There are some great reels in the $400 range but anything south of that may give you fits in the long run.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:44 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Here I disagree. I think you are right about the 8wt as the basicsaltwater rod. But $400 reels? Dude I fish for tarpon in Florida and I have never dropped that kind of cash. Buy an Orvis Battenkill, a Cabelas Prestige Premire/Lamson or. An Allen Kraken and you are golden for less than $200. Just wash it after every trip.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Hehe, I could have suggested something a bit north of $400. It took a very long time getting them but they were worth the wait. I have nothing against any reel at any price point as long as they don't have plastic anywhere in the drag. A lot of the reels on the market use roller bearings in a plastic housing. Under heavier drag settings the housing heats up to the point of melting. Once you get into the Bauer and Galvan range, those fears are gone. When I lived in Texas, the most popular reel you would see were Lamsons. Not my cup of tea but a decent reel.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Of the 4 saltwater reels that I use, the most expensive was $100