The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM

dc410 will become famous soon enoughdc410 will become famous soon enough
Default Striper fishing

I'll be heading to the Cape Cod area next week to fly fish for stripers. I am totally new to saltwater flyfishing so any information would be very helpful. I have tied up some fairly proven striper flies and will be taking my 8 wt outfit.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Striper fishing

Sounds like you have it covered. Stripers can be picky sometimes, but not often. Now, all you have to do is find some fish & get a fly in front of them!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Bigjim. If we can find some fish I feel pretty confident that I can put a fly in front of them. I'm pretty pumped about catching my first striper on a fly.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

What part of the Cape are you headed to ?
I know the outer Cape (Chatham/Brewster to P-town) pretty well. I can help you access a number of locations and offer a few tips.
If you're going to be out that far, PM me and I'll help you out.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Rip Tide,

PM sent. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

did you go yet,,, if your in the Plymouth Area LMK I fish from scituate down also looking for a reason to call in sick and head to Monomoy or the Vineyard for the day if the tides are right.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
did you go yet,,, if your in the Plymouth Area LMK I fish from scituate down also looking for a reason to call in sick and head to Monomoy or the Vineyard for the day if the tides are right.
I was actually fishing Morris Island in the Monomoy area at the time of your post yesterday. Will be heading home today. Conditions were very tough yesterday with the sustained winds between 15 and 20 mph. There were not many fish caught yesterday in that area due to the rough conditions.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc410 View Post
I was actually fishing Morris Island in the Monomoy area at the time of your post yesterday. .
Morris Island is a good spot to fish on a moon tide

Click the image to open in full size.
theboz likes this.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Morris Island is a good spot to fish on a moon tide

Click the image to open in full size.
Nice fish Rip Tide. Well, it was a moon tide but I was really having a lot of difficulty punching a cast into a 20 mph wind. Thanks for all of your help. We fished many different areas and we didn't slay them but we did catch some decent fish and had a blast! I learned a ton about saltwater flyfishing and will definitely go back for another try. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 AM

The wind is often an issue that needs to be dealt with on the Cape. I mentioned that in my PM to you.
Fortunately there's fishing opportunities in all 4 compass directions. They're not all created equal, but some days you take what you can get.