The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldskewl808

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM

aglegassey is on a distinguished road
Default New to saltwater need some advice por favor!

Hey Guys I just moved to the north shore of Massachusetts and was looking to get into some striper fishing mostly from shore. I've purchased a 9' 8 weight rod however was curious as to a middle of the road reel what type of line to be using floating or intermediate and any fly imitations you could recommend. Thanks alot I look forward to a response!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to saltwater need some advice por favor!

To get you started:

Flies = Clousers and Deceivers in 1 or 1/0

Line = intermediate or floating/intermediate, also a med rate sink tip

Reel = any reel with a sealed drag
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

For a reel, take a look at the Kraken 3 from Allen Fly Fishing. best bang for the buck imho.
fq13 likes this.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I use Okuma Integrity reels for the Striper fishing I do, and they perform just fine. However, I'm primarily fishing in tidal rivers & creeks some backwaters & don't do much in the way of surf fishing so they don't get dunked.

I use a floating line most since I'm primarily fishing shallower waters but have sinking lines in various sink rates, mostly to deal with variations in tidal current strengths. Again, not a surf fishing situation like might be found along the coast.

Clouser's are great as suggested, just be very careful about hitting your rod with them if you're not used to casting them. Open up your loops! Clouser's have accounted for a lot of broken rods!

There are many good Striper flies. From the reading I've done about NE Striper fishing on other forums, those guys are matching the primary forage much of the time. Find out what the predominant forage is at the time of year & have some patterns to match. However, much of the time profile & size is more important than colors. Just keep in mind that there may be various prey species available & might be what they want in a specific area, so it's not a bad idea to have a variety of sizes, profiles & patterns to cover your bases.

Here, I use a variety of basic patterns ranging from about 3" to 8" in length. Lefty's Deceivers, Clouser's, Clouser Half & Half's, Seaducers, and Rabbit Strip Eel patterns primarily, plus some others. Stripers are not usually particular, although they will sometimes key on certain prey species & sizes. I like basic baitfish colors such as olive & white, gray & white, with some attractor colors such as chartreuse & white thrown in. I also always have some dark patterns on hand, such as all black or black & purple. These are usually considered night time colors, but they may make a difference on overcast days or in other low light conditions.

I'm sure Rip Tide will also be along to give you his advice since he's a NE fly angler!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!