The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default redfish fly patterns

What flies do you guys find most effective when going after reds? Particular on flood tide marshes/grass
Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

flyakker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: redfish fly patterns

I wish someone would answer the question, I'm curious, too...
Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

After 40 years of trying (very limited trying) I finally hooked & landed 2 Redfish last year. I hooked up with 1 more, but it broke me off. One was on a Bendback pattern I had tied. The other on a Grassett's Deep Flats Bunny in tan. All on a shallow grass flat sight casting to them in 10" to 14" of water!

Click the image to open in full size.

Salt Water Fly Patterns / Grassett's Deep Flats Bunny -- Orvis

Redfish, like any other fish can be picky, but generally I don't think they are. Many patterns will work, if you can get the fly where they can see it without spooking them! Last year I saw plenty of fish, made plenty of casts & spooked plenty of them too!

BTW, there's a story on my blog about my Redfish trip last year if you would like the details!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 AM

iflytexas is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a Redfish rig and am curious also... Anyone? What is you "go to"?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

I have caught a bunch of Reds in Corpus and Galveston. My go to patterns were very simple, brown and orange bead chained Clousers with gold flash on size 2-4 hooks. I would also tie them weightless for the real skinny water. When the Reds are in the skinny, they are looking for shrimp. A small Clouser about 3-4" long mimics shrimp very well. While brown/orange/gold was my favorite, I also faired well with chartreuse/white and pink/white. Reds really aren't that difficult to catch but they are pretty easy to spook in shallow water. If you see them in small groups, don't line them. Cast to the ones in the back or lead the one in front by a fair bit and hope they don't change headings on you. Strip slow, they will find you.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:54 PM

iflytexas is on a distinguished road

Thanks Grouch. I will be fishing primarily in Rockport. Will give it my first attempt this weekend if the weather is right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

You can not beat a. Clouser for reds, or pretty much anything else that swims. A rabbit tail version wokrks as well as do crab patterns. But that might be a Florida thing. In Tx. you are probably better off with shrimp and minnow patterns.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:15 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
You can not beat a. Clouser for reds, or pretty much anything else that swims. A rabbit tail version wokrks as well as do crab patterns. But that might be a Florida thing. In Tx. you are probably better off with shrimp and minnow patterns.
I forgot to mention the blossom. It is an old pattern and a classic for a reason. Take a 1\0 long shanked hook and tie a bit of flashabou, like four strands to the tail. Then wrap in two grizzley hen hacles to emulate a shrimp tail. Ahead of that wrap the shank in fine earth worm or grey fine chenille and top it off with heavy dumbell eyes tied clouser style so the hook rides point up.Bounce that sucker off the bottom in a slow jigging motion and you are golden.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I forgot to mention the blossom. It is an old pattern and a classic for a reason. Take a 1\0 long shanked hook and tie a bit of flashabou, like four strands to the tail. Then wrap in two grizzley hen hacles to emulate a shrimp tail. Ahead of that wrap the shank in fine earth worm or grey fine chenille and top it off with heavy dumbell eyes tied clouser style so the hook rides point up.Bounce that sucker off the bottom in a slow jigging motion and you are golden.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I seem to remember the ole Blossom SW fly was a big bunch of marabou tied at the tail and then a simple body of chenille and a large thread head with painted eyes. A very simple fly. We did not have all the flash options back then but some flash added to the tail would be good. Just a thought from an old fart. I should add that it was tied in many colors, white, black, yellow, red, blue, tan , brown,
Old 06-29-2014, 12:11 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I seem to remember the ole Blossom SW fly was a big bunch of marabou tied at the tail and then a simple body of chenille and a large thread head with painted eyes. A very simple fly. We did not have all the flash options back then but some flash added to the tail would be good. Just a thought from an old fart. I should add that it was tied in many colors, white, black, yellow, red, blue, tan , brown,
Same here! Attributed to Mark Sosin as the originator. Don't see them mentioned much these days, but are indeed a very productive yet basic fly pattern. In Lefty Kreh's book, "Saltwater Fly Patterns", there are a couple of the Blossom's listed.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!