The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ditz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default need a backup plan need some help fellas

wife and I have plans to go to the fl keys next year but I would like to have a backup plan also just in case
want someplace with good fishing but it also has to have a beach for the wife so give me some ideas fellas need a few other options on fishing and also something good for a vacation with nice beach for the wife. so let's hear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: need a backup plan need some help fellas

Sure don't have to go to the keys to find that. There are places all over FL that fits that requirement on both coasts. Too many to discuss. Pick out an area and ask questions. Jacksonville to Flamingo and Marco to Pensacola and everywhere in between.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Well it looks like now that it's going to be Destin FL that we are going to
Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

Your getting close.....now go a bit east to Santa Rosa Beach. Check out Sandestin or anything along 30A
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

A lot of nice beaches all along that area from Panama City to Pensacola. I have visited the Navarre Beach several times but only fly fished once. The beach bottom is kinda odd all along the area. There is a quick step off right at the waters edge to about 2.5' deep. Then a gradual fall off to roughly 5ft then it gets shallow again for several yard and them begins falling off again to deeper water. If you can find an area where the water goes in and out (rip) you have found a fish holding area. The one time I fished the beach I caught lady fish right at the waters edge. I am sure there is some better help out there. There is also a Pensacola fishing forum that should be a good source of help.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:28 AM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

Hard to beat Naples area....tons of literally the top beaches in the country...lots of shopping, food, etc....and tons of great fly fishing spots. Win/win across the board...
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Naples is too far if I was going to do that might as well go to the keys
right now we are looking at the Panama City area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

St Armands Circle. MAJOR Wiffey points...with great wade and beach fishing at your footsteps.

...And some of the best beaches in Florida.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM

swflangler is on a distinguished road

I'm a Florida resident and if I could go anywhere to fly fish it would be Mosquito Lagoon for some of the year long monster red fish. Destin FL looks like it has everything to make you and the wife happy. If you go to Destin please share some pics of the water ways! I've always wanted to fish up there.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Destin is awesome. Plenty of things to do and the fishing in and around the area is great. I haven't been there in years so I can't give you any particulars but the wife will love the place. I lived in Pensacola for a couple of years and mostly fish the "river" and the Big Lagoon both on and off base. Perdido Key State park has some great redfishing, I caught my biggest FL red there and would also frequently see spinner dolphin. Those were the good old days. Funny, one day I was casting to a pod of reds in the river when I felt a strong rush of water at my feet. I was in thigh deep tannin stained water and I got a sick feeling in my stomach like I was about to be Mr. Bull shark's lunch. It turned out to be a spinner rolling less than 2 feet from me as he went after the reds. He ran head long into the pod of about 5 strong and flipped a good 25 incher in the air like a cat chucks around a mouse. I never did figure out if he was eating or playing but it gave the weirdest combination of awe and terror I ever had. I had to go sit down in the sand to think about it for a while. Crazy.