The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 PM

bks is on a distinguished road
Default Guide recommendations for AL /FL Gulf Coast

I want to try my hand at some saltwater fly fishing. The only area I have any experience w is the gulf coast. I'm looking for any guide recommendations for a beginning saltwater fisherman.
I am assuming redfish would be easiest/best beginner fish?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:45 PM

spoton will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guide recommendations for AL /FL Gulf Coast

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but a good guide in this area is Capt. Baz Yelverton in Gulf Breeze, FL. He can put you on fish, and sometimes (seasonally) on redfish.

Redfish in this area are not that easy to target on your own. In the FL panhandle then tend to be spooky, maybe not south FL spooky, but still tough to approach. As you move farther west, they get a bit more cooperative, but the water is more stained, so they are much less visible (actually invisible most of the time).

Blind casting productive areas - beach, grassflats, etc. can be fairly productive for a mixed bag of species.

Mid-August is tough because it is so warm.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 PM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road

There's an Orvis recommended guide in either Fairhope or Daphne Alabama. His name is Dan Kolenich. He will put you on fish.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:58 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

also Yano Serra of Speck Tackle Lure Outfitters. been out with him and he knows those redfish!