The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
labradorguy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MO, BC, Keys
Posts: 648
labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

I've got boys, so I know about the one hundred here and one hundred there.... lol.

If I were doing it and I had the coin, I would get a Hardy Proaxis or a Loomis NRX. I've fished the Hardys a fair amount and am really happy with them, but my Proaxis rods are one piece so I can't comment regarding the 4-piece ones. I believe a Loomis NRX is the king of the flats. I have an 8wt that has caught so many fish, nailed more slams than I have fingers, and has been bent in so many stupid angles that I can not even describe them and it is still going strong. This includes a big tarpon that charged out of the blue and slammed it right at the boat, a once in a lifetime permit that pulled with his side against a hard running channel tide, and an 8' shark. Those rods are just ridiculously tough. I would take them anywhere and fish them hard and not think twice. 8 thru 12 are all amazing sticks.

If you go Loomis, get it tomorrow if you can. There is a new warranty starting on the 15th that was implemented by their stupid parent company. No more lifetime, now it is one year. That goes into effect Tuesday.
__________________
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM
ohbuoy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 13
ohbuoy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Very good info! Thanks for the heads up on the Loomis. Was not aware of the warranty change. That is a big one...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Account on hold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 499
guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

The mangrove will do just fine. I disagree on its lack of ability to cast distance. get the right line on it and watch it fly! Any modern rod will handle CI GTs (Just remember, CI has some GTs that were never meant to be landed by anyone with anything!) Especially off of terra firma) Just do your homework on sound fish fighting skills. Keep the angles, keep the fight in the butt of the rod and do not high stick it when the fish gets close (Especially true for tarpon from a skiff) Look into Stu Apts "Down and Dirty" style of fish fighting. You can learn to land big fish quickly with just about any rod.

The Mangroves are growing in popularity among Musky anglers for their ability to easily throw huge flies long distances. This, IMO is the priority for your rod selection with GT poppers in mind.

Also, the Mangrove was designed by Flip Pallot specifically for back country Keys fishing.

All rods can break. I don't care if its a $1000 T&T or a $100 Redington. Its usually the same mistake that will break both rods and both rods will hold their own in fish fighting. So it boils down to casting.

Not trusting a modern TFO rod in any situation is just purely a lack of knowledge of equipment.

Get the Mangrove
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: fresh creek,Andros bahamas
Posts: 1
Blog Entries: 1
fish hard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

the lady is right about getting a top of the line rod.
10 wight rod are great. and 12. as long as its not to heavy and you work your risk to hard, I like g.loomis rods, sage rods.there are a lot of great fly rods out there and am surprise they are so strong. one time I had a tip of a 12 wight rod brake,while Tarpon fishing.so I made my client fish with a 8 wight rod.we landed the tarpon even though the fish blew the drag on the reel.
I have a G.loomis 9 wight. sage 9 wight and Loop 12 wight. my two boys 8 and 6 broke my 12 wight Tample fork playing around haha. if you brake it they will fix it.that's the good thing about these companys.

Tommy kee
Andros,Bahamas
labradorguy likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 PM
labradorguy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MO, BC, Keys
Posts: 648
labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
All rods can break. I don't care if its a $1000 T&T or a $100 Redington. Its usually the same mistake that will break both rods and both rods will hold their own in fish fighting. So it boils down to casting.

Not trusting a modern TFO rod in any situation is just purely a lack of knowledge of equipment.

Get the Mangrove
Think what you want, but some rods are breaking more than others. If you don't know about the BVK reputation for snapping for no reason on the flats then you aren't a flats hound and the lack of knowledge is on your end, not mine. I've saw two break myself for no reason at all. One was handled by a guy who has caught more world class tarpon than anyone I know. The walls on that blank are ridiculously thin.

It may be great for casting in the Keys. You break it, you pop into Islamorada and grab a new one. No big deal. This is a bit different scenario. He's not fishing in the Keys.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish hard View Post
the lady is right about getting a top of the line rod.
10 wight rod are great. and 12. as long as its not to heavy and you work your risk to hard, I like g.loomis rods, sage rods.there are a lot of great fly rods out there and am surprise they are so strong. one time I had a tip of a 12 wight rod brake,while Tarpon fishing.so I made my client fish with a 8 wight rod.we landed the tarpon even though the fish blew the drag on the reel.
I have a G.loomis 9 wight. sage 9 wight and Loop 12 wight. my two boys 8 and 6 broke my 12 wight Tample fork playing around haha. if you brake it they will fix it.that's the good thing about these companys.

Tommy kee
Andros,Bahamas

Tommy,

Welcome to the forums! I hope you stick around and share some stories about those awesome Andros flats.
__________________
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 31
swflangler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
The mangrove will do just fine. I disagree on its lack of ability to cast distance. get the right line on it and watch it fly! Any modern rod will handle CI GTs (Just remember, CI has some GTs that were never meant to be landed by anyone with anything!) Especially off of terra firma) Just do your homework on sound fish fighting skills. Keep the angles, keep the fight in the butt of the rod and do not high stick it when the fish gets close (Especially true for tarpon from a skiff) Look into Stu Apts "Down and Dirty" style of fish fighting. You can learn to land big fish quickly with just about any rod.

The Mangroves are growing in popularity among Musky anglers for their ability to easily throw huge flies long distances. This, IMO is the priority for your rod selection with GT poppers in mind.

Also, the Mangrove was designed by Flip Pallot specifically for back country Keys fishing.

All rods can break. I don't care if its a $1000 T&T or a $100 Redington. Its usually the same mistake that will break both rods and both rods will hold their own in fish fighting. So it boils down to casting.

Not trusting a modern TFO rod in any situation is just purely a lack of knowledge of equipment.

Get the Mangrove
I would be happy to sell you my Mangrove 8wt!
labradorguy likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 PM
labradorguy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MO, BC, Keys
Posts: 648
labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflangler View Post
I would be happy to sell you my Mangrove 8wt!
You should hang onto it; I hear that they are great for Muskies...
__________________
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 AM
oldskewl808's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 142
oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Hahaha, your saying TFO rods are prone to breakage because some flats monkeys hit them too many times with their flies, and because another person had some kids break one sword fighting? C'mon. I have caught many big hard fighting fish on my BVK, it has never failed me. I would take a TFO rod to CI without worry, and for a same weight back up, I would bring anther TFO. I think the name bashing is a little over the top. I sure as hell am not going to start worrying about my BVK self destructing out on the flats for no reason.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 AM
labradorguy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MO, BC, Keys
Posts: 648
labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl808 View Post
Hahaha, your saying TFO rods are prone to breakage because some flats monkeys hit them too many times with their flies, and because another person had some kids break one sword fighting? C'mon. I have caught many big hard fighting fish on my BVK, it has never failed me. I would take a TFO rod to CI without worry, and for a same weight back up, I would bring anther TFO. I think the name bashing is a little over the top. I sure as hell am not going to start worrying about my BVK self destructing out on the flats for no reason.
Just playing the odds. Their rep is less than sterling. There are better rods out there. Besides, the OP has already excluded them so it really doesn't matter does it??
__________________
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:13 AM
oldskewl808's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 142
oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Guess your right, but I still think the BVK should be considered for the price point and situation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tarpon on Fly Davo Saltwater Fly Fishing 7 04-18-2011 06:26 PM
Tarpon rod emarf Saltwater Fly Fishing 6 07-23-2010 11:32 AM
1st Tarpon!!! theyiman Saltwater Fly Fishing 7 07-17-2010 02:02 PM
Tarpon Here I Come!! Davo Saltwater Fly Fishing 26 06-28-2010 09:05 AM
Tarpon on the Fly! John Kumiski Southeast U.S. 0 05-29-2008 03:59 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.