The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

If you're looking for a deal, the best thing going right now is on Hardy Proaxis one piece closeout rods. The one piece is amazing, no ferrules to screw around with or to come loose, and it is so light... No flat spots in the flex either. I picked up a 9wt and an 11wt for $270ish each and I believe I am going to grab a 10wt while they are still available. They are being discontinued. If you are going to a reputable lodge, you can ship them down and they will be sitting there waiting for you when you arrive. I've done it before with no issues. I'd never check a rod anyway, and carrying on several is a pain too. It's not a bad way to do it...
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflangler View Post
I would be happy to sell you my Mangrove 8wt!
To each his own. Just like any rod. Respectfully, you are a minority with your opinion from those who own or have just cast one. Again, get the right line on it. I recommend an airflow sniper, but that line has a pretty common modern taper so theres a good number of lines that fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
You should hang onto it; I hear that they are great for Muskies...
Ive got my 10wt Mangrove for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
Think what you want, but some rods are breaking more than others. If you don't know about the BVK reputation for snapping for no reason on the flats then you aren't a flats hound and the lack of knowledge is on your end, not mine. I've saw two break myself for no reason at all. One was handled by a guy who has caught more world class tarpon than anyone I know. The walls on that blank are ridiculously thin.

It may be great for casting in the Keys. You break it, you pop into Islamorada and grab a new one. No big deal. This is a bit different scenario. He's not fishing in the Keys.[COLOR="Silver"]
I am fully aware of the problems BVK HAD. Im also aware that it has been rectified.

The OP wants 2 rods under $300. The TFO Mangrove would easily be my choice.

Tossing huge poppers can work the ferrules loose on any rod. This is a great way to break ANY ROD. Check those ferrules often.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

No ferrules to work loose on those Proaxis rods.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

This is your wanna be brother once again. Nobody has mentioned the Colton rods or reels. My heaviest outfit is a 9wt but I just love my Colton matched rig and with a Wulf line it is a cannon. The Torrent reel drag is as good or better than any on the market...and at a decent price. Do yourself a favor and at least call the guy and discuss his stuff with him. .....That being said, DO NOT high stick with any graphite rod. They will break and after being 'ticked' by a heavy weighted fly a disaster is just waiting to happen. These are the reasons that I recommend glass rods to beginners. They will absorb much more abuse than a graphite.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM

swflangler is on a distinguished road

If it was my trip I would want a powerful fast action rod for long cast and the ability to deal with wind. The mangrove rod was not designed for that! The 2014 8wt shootout only confirms my opinion.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM

If one piece rods are not of interest, then St. Croix offers more bang for the buck than anyone in the biz.

Do what I do and go pick beer cans up along the highway so you can take a top notch stick on your trip. A lot of places pay cash for the cans so the old lady will be none the wiser...
Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM

ohbuoy is on a distinguished road

I'd have an easier time sneaking the extra money than I'd have sneaking the delivery with my wife being a stay at home mom. Might have to have the rod delivered to dad and instead get him in trouble with mom! :-)

Will check out the Colton and st croix options as well. Thx.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Or maybe I could ship it to my brother ditz for safe keeping...
Old 07-14-2014, 05:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I ordered a TFO Bluewater 12 wt as a backup based on recommendations from a friend who primarily fishes for Mako's, Marlin and Tarpon. The butt is a glass/graphite oomposite that he says will dead lift 20 lbs all day. He does that with weights to test them before his exotic trips.

He's also a good caster and says they cast just fine but that the 14 and up wts would wear out an NFL lineman. He says the 12 wt will handle a 550gr. Billfish line - 30' head floating.

If I were going for GT, I'd use that line - which is the same I use for sailfish due to the large poppers I use for them. Poppers are also the lure of choice for GT's among spin fishermen. Aside from a spectacular bite - poppers will turn both sails and GT that otherwise wouldn't see the fly. But they are not easy to cast, so try them first,; you may not be able to cast them. I use Cam Sigler popping heads backwards, with the snout pointing toward the front. They still pop and are much easier to cast that way. They also look more like ballyhoo that way.

Poppers enable you to cast beyond and to the side of them so they don't take the fly coming toward you.

That line also has a solid mono core and tests at over 50 lb breaking strength, which could be useful at the reef drop off since GT's usually dive once they hit the edge I've heard. In tht regard, I'd can the fly rod backing and use either trolling braid at 60 lbs or more or Jerry Brown hollow spectra at 80 lb. as better protection against coral. Blind loops can easily be formed in both for a 100 % strength knotless loop-loop connection.

You should fill out where you live, at least the state / country, and hang around.
ohbuoy likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Down in SE Florida the guides tend to use 12 wt Reddingtons for blue water stuff. Bonita, Mahi, spinner sharks and black fin and sails in 60 to 80 feet of water (deeper for the mahi). The rods have enough backbone to force the fish up and they are cheap enough that the guide won't cry if a dude breaks one. Its not a perfect rod, but given that you generally aren't casting that far in blue water its good enough. It should work for GT. For tarpon in the keys I like a loomis if I have to cast a long way, but I use a ten weight and sacrifice strength for castability as a 12 wt is just a pig to cast. Its a matter of personal preference, but I would rather lose fish on a ten weight rather than not hook them ona twelve because I can't get the fly there in time.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM

ohbuoy is on a distinguished road

wjc...I am from NC...updated my location for you. Thanks for the info. We've always had a strong fishery here in the summer with the giant drum. However, in the last couple of years, the local guides have adapted the methods from soaking cut mullet to using popping cork and jig. Fly casters have followed suit with a similar setup and have had some luck. I am recovering from knee surgery a few weeks back, but I hope to be healed up enough to test out these 12 wts on a 40+ pound old drum in late August.

fq13, funny you should mention Redington. I saw a new Predator 12 wt on Ebay last night for $140. Had heard some folks talking about them as a decent low price 12 wt. Bought it figuring at that price I could try it out to see what it feels like and use it as my backup in Christmas Island if nothing else. Still planning to buy another so I am covered in case one breaks on the trip. Still not sure which that one will be though...On our first anniversary, my wife had a custom spinning rod made for me out of a Loomis blank, so I've always liked them. Just concerned in sinking that kind of money in one considering it may not get much use. I guess if nothing else I can resell it after my trip assuming it survives (and I don't fall in love with it).