The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 05:43 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: 12 wt for GT and tarpon

Mahi....

Man, some blackened Mahi would be so good right about now....
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM

ohbuoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
Mahi....

Man, some blackened Mahi would be so good right about now....
I still have some from my recent trip to the Keys. I'll give you all you want if you loan me your Loomis for my trip.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Allen, Orvis or Cabelas Prestige Premire reels with a good quality line.
Are you suggesting one of these reels for Christmas Island GT's?
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
Are you suggesting one of these reels for Christmas Island GT's?
Never fished for a Pacific anything. But I would use any one of those for anything I am apt to get into in Fl., from sails to big jacks to sharks to tuna and tarpon.All are good sturdy reels for short money.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dolphin grilled with a sprinkling of "Everglades Heat" and some lemon - served with spinach and black bean chili over rice -- oh, la la. A bowl of hagan daz chocolate ice cream splashed with a half-shot of cream de menthe for desert - now you're talking a nice Southern, light summer meal. The Gulfstream has been 10 miles out from Molasses Reef light for two weeks now. Soon as it moves in 5 miles, I'll be out there after um.

I'd not take any 12 wt TFO other than the Bluewater out to Christmas Island either, especially if planning on going for GT, yellowfin and possibly wahoo – which is what I’d be doing. For those you need fish fighting/dead lift power.The friend who recommends them has all the newest high-priced rods out there, most matched with Mako reels, and swears by the Bluewater 10-12.

I would defiinitely take two 12’s and two smaller flats rods.

As for lines, I’d take a Rio Leviathan 550 gr. floating lime,(key lime running/blue head) for the 12 wt. It has been discontinued, but Rio has 19 left as of this minute. None of the shops have any in stock. I just ordered another for myself while they are still available. You'll probably encounter steady breezes from 10-15.

On a side note. I’ve heard that some guides have been chumming GT daily which has upset the normal scattered feeding habits on the flats, and that even those fish chummed in to chunks refuse all but “chunk flies” whatever they are (actual dead bait?). I’ve heard this on both Dan Blanton’s site and Sexyloops site. Something to be aware of. Here’s a link to one story of it. Your dad is probably aware of it.

Fly Fishing » Dan Blanton » Forum » Bulletin Board » Message Board

Have a great trip. And we expect some good tales when you return.
labradorguy likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbuoy View Post
I still have some from my recent trip to the Keys. I'll give you all you want if you loan me your Loomis for my trip.

It is a tempting offer, but I LOVE that rod man.... I believe I would rather loan you my girlfriend.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Dolphin grilled with a sprinkling of "Everglades Heat" and some lemon - served with spinach and black bean chili over rice -- oh, la la. A bowl of hagan daz chocolate ice cream splashed with a half-shot of cream de menthe for desert - now you're talking a nice Southern, light summer meal. The Gulfstream has been 10 miles out from Molasses Reef light for two weeks now. Soon as it moves in 5 miles, I'll be out there after um.

I'd not take any 12 wt TFO other than the Bluewater out to Christmas Island either, especially if planning on going for GT, yellowfin and possibly wahoo – which is what I’d be doing. For those you need fish fighting/dead lift power.The friend who recommends them has all the newest high-priced rods out there, most matched with Mako reels, and swears by the Bluewater 10-12.

I would defiinitely take two 12’s and two smaller flats rods.

As for lines, I’d take a Rio Leviathan 550 gr. floating lime,(key lime running/blue head) for the 12 wt. It has been discontinued, but Rio has 19 left as of this minute. None of the shops have any in stock. I just ordered another for myself while they are still available. You'll probably encounter steady breezes from 10-15.

On a side note. I’ve heard that some guides have been chumming GT daily which has upset the normal scattered feeding habits on the flats, and that even those fish chummed in to chunks refuse all but “chunk flies” whatever they are (actual dead bait?). I’ve heard this on both Dan Blanton’s site and Sexyloops site. Something to be aware of. Here’s a link to one story of it. Your dad is probably aware of it.

Fly Fishing » Dan Blanton » Forum » Bulletin Board » Message Board

Have a great trip. And we expect some good tales when you return.
This man knows his fish! He knows how to catch them and what to do with a few of them afterwards... lol.

Actually, your post kind of sucks. I'm sitting here eating leftover pizza and drinking a semi-cold beer. I can freakin' taste that Mahi after that description.

We need to hit the water together! If the Stream is too far out past Molasses for you, there are some darn good holes in close where you can tag a grouper if you feel like going in after them.. Bahahaha.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
Ummm.... Are you talking to me? My answer is, you don't.
This is truth. In blue water you aren' t flyfishing in the traditional sense. You are casting to a fish yoh raised up using a hookless popper or live chumming. You are tossing a dead rabbit thirty feet and you need a rod that will let you deal with a fish that will burn off two hundred yards in a smoking run and then do its best impression of a civil rights protester and make you haul up a forty pound fish from 100 feet of water while it is practicing civil dissobedience and turning sideways while you try to reel it in. This is why I target snook rather than bonita and black fins.Blue water is all about brute force and ignorance. There are no style points, its about applyingforceand frankly I tend to be more exhuadted then the fish when I do land it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 AM

ohbuoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post

Thanks for the line recommendation. Just arrived in Madrid for a week's work. Will try to order if I can get the order to go through (credit card company may not like an Internet order from Europe).

Regarding the GT chumming, yes, I have read about it. Dad saw it happening while he was out there as well (guides putting chunks of milkfish on flies). I believe he caught one on a spinning rod with chunk bait, but did manage a few on non-sweetened flies. He spent most of his time bonefishing though. I hope the continued chumming has not messed up chances for a true fly caught GT.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Tried to find the line on Rio's site, but I do not see it. Did you see it listed in their list of lines, or was there something like a clearance section you found them?

Last edited by ohbuoy; 07-17-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
....you need a rod that will let you deal with a fish that will burn off two hundred yards in a smoking run...
I know you meant "reel" and not "rod"

The burn..... 100 kb sound bite (.wmv file)

Fly fishing Music

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Quote:
.....and then do its best impression of a civil rights protester and make you haul up a forty pound fish from 100 feet of water ......
Click the image to open in full size.

That's a typical ending for a lot of species where the water's deep enough.

But it's not always a 30 foot cast. Sometimes long accurate/lucky casts are needed. My most memorable sailfish took a bunch of casts to finally get the bite. It was like my buddy (with the live ballyhoo teaser) and I were playing with a labrador retriever with two tennis balls on strings, but my buddy Apple had one covered with bacon fat and I had a plain one.

He raised this fish, a hot one, that got the ballyhoo and took off with it. Apple got it away from him, but it chased it all the way to the skiff with Apple reeling and yanking as fast as possible. Then it just stayed next to the skiff, and when Apple threw it out again, it took off after it - having seen Apple cast it. We were in a narrow flats skiff and Apple's cast swung the hoo over the edge of the skiff. That time I had my popper in the air and landed it next to the hoo - but that sail had tasted the bacon and didn't want anything to do with it, and chased the real hoo all the way back to the skiff again.

This happened at least 3 more times. Apple, who'd been a guide for well over 30 years, looked at me after the third or 4th time and said "Man, I don't kow what else to do. I've never seen anything like this. He keeps coming back and sitting right under the skiff waiting for me to throw it back out there".

Finally, the sail tired of the game I guess, and took my fly. It is the only time that I've ever been laughing while casting to a sport fish. Apple loves telling that story about the dogfish he teased up for me. "You mean a hogfish?" "No a dog fish - actually a dog sail".

Altantic sails are not like Pacific ones and not so eager to eat the fly, at least in the Keys, where ballyhoo are super plentiful along the reef edge.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 AM

camelbrass is on a distinguished road

I know this topic is about a month old but would just like to add something for the OP.

I have fished for big GTs in wild places for some years, mainly on spinning tackle, and unlike a lot of other species fights are generally short but intense and very rarely get to the having to lift them out of deep water stage (like you would, say, for tuna)..never if you're fishing flats.

Whatever rod/reel combination you choose will have to stop that fish in the first 30/50 metres which happens in the blink of an eye. After that you've probably been buried in the reef and if you're really unlucky, fly line and all. If you're really lucky, he may have stayed on top and you get to have a crack.

You need to be super critical of your gear in far away places and get the best you can afford. There's often no Plan B. Imagine standing on the flats, 1000km from anywhere, watching a big GT blitz and you've only got your 8wt because you took a 12 wt outfit that either can't stop them or exploded.

Enjoy CXI. I'm also trying to organize a trip next year to one of the other atolls in Kiribati.

Regards,

Trev