The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leader question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I wouldn't go with a 10' leader at all.
While I might use a 12' leader for flats fishing, 90% of the time I use an 8' one. And as short as 3'-4' for kayak trolling with a sinking line.
I was mistaken when I typed that. That actual leader was only less than 9'. I started with 9' to 10' of line, but by the time I tied the perfection loop on one end and the fly on the other (and clipped some some line because of the mistakes), it was shorter than the rod. I know because I had the fly hooked on the reel foot and still had a few inches of fly line outside the tip.

Quote:
...with a leader shorter than your rod, you don't have to worry about your line/leader knot getting stuck in your tip-top when trying to land a fish.
That is an excellent point. From now on, when fishing from the kayak, I will be sure to keep the leader shorter than the rod (on purpose, not just because of mistakes in tying the knots).

Quote:
.... which reminds me...where abouts are you fishing ?
Where you fish and your expected prey can make a big difference in the type of leader that you'll need.
I am in West Palm Beach. I usually try to fish a little farther north, in Jupiter, near the inlet, where the water is very clean. The other night I stayed close to home, as I was mainly out to try a new inflatable kayak, and the fishing was just ancillary. In fact, I was fishing right behind Donald Trump's place. The water is not as nice there. You'd think The Donald would be sure to have clean water and lots of fish there, huh? But no. Maybe you have to be a member of his club...
Rip Tide and kingfish87 like this.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 AM

wicked_fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leader question...

I used to tie up a bunch of tapered leaders and it got annoying. I tried labeling them and everything but it turned to be more work than I think is necessary. I use a straight 20 or 30 lb mono leader depending on the line and fly I'm throwing. Usually 6-9 ft long. My buddy uses a straight flouro leader and always out fishes me so take that for what it's worth.