The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 PM

jdavid71 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help for choosing first saltwatet fly combo

Im new at fly fishing and i want a saltwater fly rod because i fish mostly saltwater. Im looking at 4 fly rod and reel combos. Tell me what you guys think and if you have any other suggestions i will gladly hear the out.

Orvis encounter combo: m.orvis.com/p/encounter-8-weight-9-fly-rod-outfit/8p45

Cabelas rls fly combo: Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo : Cabela's

Ll bean streamlight ultra: m.llbean.com/product.html#70536

Cabelas theee fork/ prestige premier fly combo: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...dsPerPage%3D18
Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 PM

coastrider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help for choosing first saltwatet fly combo

Go test cast first or you will never know
Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM

jdavid71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
Go test cast first or you will never know
I cant try all
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM

retreive is on a distinguished road

I ended up with several cheap rods only because I was impatient and did not try anything I bought.
Dont make the same mistake. It costs money.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

Allen Fly Fishing (site sponsor) has, as their "deal of the week", a store credit ($50, iirc) when you buy an 8 weight rod, which you could put toward an Alpha or Kraken reel.

Or, you could buy a TFO BVK for ~$200 and Allen Alpha reel for $160 and be good. I think there's an Alpha in the classifieds right now.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM

wicked_fly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
Allen Fly Fishing (site sponsor) has, as their "deal of the week", a store credit ($50, iirc) when you buy an 8 weight rod, which you could put toward an Alpha or Kraken reel.

Or, you could buy a TFO BVK for ~$200 and Allen Alpha reel for $160 and be good. I think there's an Alpha in the classifieds right now.
I agree with this post, great suggestions both are great products that you should be happy with for a starter outfit and you won't be ashamed of them to keep as a backup when or if you decide to "upgrade".
Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 AM

crkoester is on a distinguished road

Save up a few more bucks and get the 8 weight TFO BVK, pair it with a (discontinued) Sage 1880 reel... or a Lamson Konic. (Or a Lamson Guru if you can swing it).

This is all gear on the low end of premium... otherwise known as the "best bang for your buck" category.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

St. Croix rods dominate the "Best Bang for the Buck" category.

8wt BVKs have a poor track record for durability; many have had them break with fish on.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM

crkoester is on a distinguished road

I know you have a bone to pick with the TFO BVK's, but I do happen to own one that I just put through the paces for a week in Alaska. I was landing numbers of 8-10 pound sockeye every single day in heavy river current, with a good number of them foul-hooked and completely uncontrollable, but on 20 pound tippet that was almost impossible to break. The rod took such a vicious pounding I was honestly shocked at times it didn't explode. I was putting so much stress on this rod at times that if it had broken I would have considered it due to abuse rather than a failure of the rod.... but it never let me down. I promise that if this rod were prone to break, it would have absolutely, positively broken.

But if it did, TFO has just about the best warranty in the business. And the thing retails for $250, compared to the $850 Loomis NRX 9 weight I'm about to buy. I could bust 3 of them in a row and throw them in the river and I'd still be money ahead. And let's remember that the OP was first referring to some rods that are decidedly at the less-than-premium level.

As a side note, the only rod I broke on my Alaska trip was a St. Croix Legend Elite.

Just saying.

FWIW, I do agree with you about St. Croix. I own 3 St. Croix fly rods (and probably 8-10 other St Croix spinning and baitcasting rods) and love them all; my first fly rod was a 5 weight Legend Elite that I loved with all my heart (it was stolen, I could have cried). I consider the St. Croix Imperial line to probably the VERY best "bang for your buck" line of rods made. I just bought a 6 weight for my beginner buddy that I'm trying to rope into fly fishing. However, the TFO BVK 8 weight gets really exceptional reviews that seem to merit special consideration. That's why I bought one for myself.

Chris
Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

I thought we were talking about a rod for a beginner? I was just going off of past experience them, not picking any bones. I certainly didn't mean to offend loyal owners.

A person with a lot of salt experience, or someone like yourself who is catching big fish, would probably do fine with them, but newbies tend to get a huge adrenaline rush with big fish, especially fish that strike right at the boat, and that often times results in grabbing the blank in their hand and/or high sticking the rod with the fish near the boat. For someone who is prone to do that, beginner or experienced, I would argue that there are better rods out there for them to consider.

The BVK has a reputation as a rod that performs very well for the money.
The BVK also has a reputation as a rod that experiences a lot of failures.

Not picking bones, just pointing out facts and overall track records. The OP can choose what he feels is the best choice given his circumstances.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."