The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By labradorguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough
Default Miami area saltwater fishing

Looks like work is going to have me down near Homestead, FL in the middle of September. I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers as to where to fish and what to fish with.

I'm brand spanking new to saltwater and have never been fishing in South Florida. Just had a baby and money is a bit tight so a guide is pretty much out of the question.

I've got an 8-wt BVK and will be happy to fish for anything...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Miami area saltwater fishing

Call Capt Dino Torino

You may not want to hire a guide, but even so, give him a call and gently ask for some tips.

Dino is THE leading authority for flyfishing that area. Beach, lagoons, inshore, offshore.

His site Only On A Fly
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

It's been awhile since I was last there. I mean a really long time since I got out of college... but...

All the canals are full of fish. I believe they even have Peacock Bass down there. I use to fish right in the middle of Lake Osceola, which is smack dab in the middle of the University of Miami's campus. 'Cuda, Snook and Tarpon are available. The lake is I believe fed by the inter-coastal waterway and large schools of mullet make their way on up and the predators feed on them. I use to get some crazy looks fishing between classes, but what the hell.

There is also or use to be wade fishing access down around Matheson's Hammock. Biscayne Bay is a great fishery but you would be best served with a boat.

All this information if pre-Hurricane Andrew which pretty much wiped out Miami, but it may prove useful. If anything hit those canals.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Use that 8wt. Just make sure you have a reel that has a good drag and plenty of backing if you go after any of the strong and long runners. Tarpon, albies, and some others will peel off your line and backing. 30# backing is best to keep from losing your fly line. Keep your tippet strength well below the banking strength.

Be sure and rinse your gear real well with fresh water after each outing. Salt will eat your tackle in short order unless your gear is cared for.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Joey Bagels is on a distinguished road

You're a lucky guy!
The Tamiami Canal is just out your back door and has snook, tarpon, peacock bass, and largemouths. You can access it right off the road for free for many miles through the Everglades all the way to Ochopee and beyond. Also, there's the Keys a bit further and you can fish on your own on the flats for bonefish and permit (challenging but insanely fun and picturesque) and the boat canals and mangroves for snook, tarpon, barracuda, and snapper. It'll take some exploration, but there's plenty of areas you can fish without a guide, on your own, with plenty of fish, and few other anglers. I go to the Keys every year and always find something new and somewhere unexplored to fish. If I had more time and lived there, I'd be hitting the Everglades and Tamiami like clockwork. That place is just mind-blowingly beautiful, serene, fishy, and awe-inspiring.
Good luck and report back when you get out. Photos are appreciated!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

In an unfortunate turn of events I'll no longer be in Miami... I'm now going to the middle of nowhere (Dothan) Alabama... Panama City is an hour and a half away... anywhere to fish around there?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Take the time to slip down to Bahia Honda for the day and go for some flats fish. That is a great place to do it and you have the potential to even do a slam if you have a little luck on your side. There are always tarpon and snook cruising there if nothing else.

I may be around in Sept. Drop me a PM when you get your dates set.

Don't forget to pick up a spool of line for the flats. RIO Bonefish has always been good for me.
Joey Bagels likes this.