The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM

dnj21 is on a distinguished road
Default Cancun FF options

Headed to Akumal (well south of Cancun but not quite to Tulum) first week of Oct. Has anyone hired a good guide in that area recently? When you search there are definitely some options down there, but seem pretty steep for the big name lodges.

Goal isn't necessarily to do the Grand Slam quest, I would just enjoy trying something different. Appreciate any comments you might have for me....

Thank you
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 PM

biggun01 will become famous soon enoughbiggun01 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cancun FF options

I'm planning on being at Cancun mid oct so I'm curious as well. Sadly, to get much help on here u either have to say your a 14 y/o boy, or have 1100 posts.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun01 View Post
I'm planning on being at Cancun mid oct so I'm curious as well. Sadly, to get much help on here u either have to say your a 14 y/o boy, or have 1100 posts.
I'm not sure that's the problem, I'll make a guess that not many people have fished the same area he's staying. I was in Cancun several years ago, think it was July/August, and hired a guide for a day trip through the place we stayed, the Moon Palace, and I had a great day fishing the mangroves and flats around Isla Blanca off Cancun. I caught a bunch of baby tarpon sight fishing in the mangroves and a permit on the flats. It wasn't cheap, but was worth it for a great day and a new experience. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place I used. Hope you find a good place to fish, enjoy it!

Tom
Old 08-20-2014, 07:59 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. I've found this to be the most helpful fishing forum that I've ever been on.

What I like about this place is that when someone offers help, you get real help that you can use to make plans with. Too many other forums have all kinds of people chiming in who don't know a thing about the area and their "advice" is basically worthless.

The lack of replies is probably because nobody really knows. I'm one of the biggest flats hounds on here but I've never been fishing around Cancun. I've been there several times, but there are better tails to chase down there than bonetails....
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
I don't agree with that at all. I've found this to be the most helpful fishing forum that I've ever been on.

What I like about this place is that when someone offers help, you get real help that you can use to make plans with. Too many other forums have all kinds of people chiming in who don't know a thing about the area and their "advice" is basically worthless.

The lack of replies is probably because nobody really knows. I'm one of the biggest flats hounds on here but I've never been fishing around Cancun. I've been there several times, but there are better tails to chase down there than bonetails....
LOL- there a lot of other things you can do while down there, that is for sure!!

I know Ascension Bay is what I should focus on, but $470 plus tip for myself is a lot to spend for my budget. Wife and I went out just north of Cancun on our Honeymoon 8 1/2 years ago and did some light spinning tackle fishing and had a wonderful time. I am sure I would enjoy it, but she isnít interested in a full day hard core outing. Decisions, decisions.....

I am enjoying this forum myself, but I don't often post since I can rarely contribute anything meaningful. I think there is a lot to learn by reading. If you want hostile, go over to the Drake forum. Holy cow.....
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Try a forum search here, you may find more information. milt
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple of recommendation from the members of FF@ from back in 1997.

"Ramon Suarez, who works out of the San Marino Marina near
Cancun. Phone # was 011-52-988-82245.
I think down there you only need 988-82245 or 988-82245.

The principal fishery here is the nearby Isla Blanca Lagoon, which
offers fishing for snook, tarpon and bonefish. As I understand it, the
neighborhood boat traffic can be significant, which can hurt the fishing
success. Roman speaks enough english to be a good guide. I think that
this situation offers a good target of opportunity for somebody who's
already going to Cancun anyway and looking for a convenient flyfishing
distraction. I believe Roman will pick you up at your hotel in the
morning and drop you off there at day's end.

Ramon got recommendations from several members of FF@

Here's a photo of Roman with a client from FF@ and her first Tarpon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72245991@N00/228678627/

------------

Here are a couple of other possibilities

Nacho Euan
Hotel Vista Del Mar
Av Rafael E Melgar No 45
Cozumel, Q. Roo
QR
Mexico
Tel: 011-52-987-20545
Cozumel
Works out of hotel.
Other Tel: 1-52-987-20565 and Fax:011-52- 987-20445.
email: none

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carlos Vega
Aquarius Travel
Calle 3 Sur Num 2, POB105
Cozumel, Q. Roo
QR
Mexico
Tel:011-52-987-21092
Fax:011-52-987-21092
email: none

For recent information, you can go to a salt water BB like Dan Blanton and search for "Cancun"

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM

Awesome post Silver, thank you.

I talked to the folks at YellowDog, very nice but same price as the ones I discovered on my own. Plus road to Punta Allan is 2 1/2 hours each way from our hotel. Maybe this would be a better project for a longer stay. Still waiting to see what my hotel can come up with, then I may look north to Cancun for some of the options up there but that is also 90 min each way.

Good probelm to have- thank you to everyone who replied! something about reading all the stories and seeing the pictures makes me want to try it....
Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM

bz3722 is on a distinguished road

Look Up Akumal Fly Fishing, I believe Rhett does some walk-in trips & Maybe small boat trips. I have him on facebook and he posts some great pictures. The Akumal beach where they snorkel with the turtles has a bunch of bonefish, but is closed to fishing. Also the Boca Pilla Bridge South of Tulum has some good walk-in fishing. I caught a bone, small permit, & jacks last March.THE ROAD DOWN IS SERIOUSLY ROUGH THOUGH!!

If you can get a copy of DIYBonefishing. Its a great book and tells how to fish several spots in that area.

Best of luck
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 PM
mridenour

Quote:
Haha...winner of the most ridiculous post of the day award!!