The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 PM

crkoester is on a distinguished road
Default Best all-around flats fishing line?

Anyone have any recommendation for a good all-around saltwater flats fishing floating fly line? I am a competent freshwater guy, but have zero experience with saltwater fly fishing. I'm ready to gear up and jump in.

Looking to set up an 8 weight (TFO BVK) and 9 weight (Loomis NRX) for bones, redfish, snook, baby tarpon, maybe the occasional permit (I realize a 10 weight is generally a better permit setup for turning over heavy crab flies).

I've asked several highly experienced guides and fisherman and have gotten several different answers... Airflo Bonefish/Redfish, Airflo Clear tip, Cortland Tropic Plus, various SA lines, Rio Bonefish Quickshooter and Rio Bonefish, etc etc.

I was hoping to find more of a consensus on this. I'm leaning toward possibly Rio Bonefish Quickshooter on the 9 weight (maybe better for windy conditions and/or wading?) and Rio Bonefish on the 8 weight (maybe better for slick/calm conditions?). I'm open to keeping it simple and putting the Quickshooter on both.

FWIW... I'll be fishing Key West, Islamorada and the FL backcountry in November, and Hawaii in January. Belize and Christmas Island are on the short list for future trips.

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 AM

hi tide is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best all-around flats fishing line?

I'm a guide on Oahu and fished Christmas Island recently. I like the Airflo bonefish line, loads the rod quick, turns over bigger flies well, the running line doesnt float as well as rio. Rio has new Permit line I'm interested in. Maybe Rio standard Bonefish line on the BVK and Airflo Bonefish on loomis. If I had to choose just one line for all around it would probably be the Airflo bonefish. e-mail jessecheape@gmail.com if you have questions.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 AM

hi tide: Thanks so much for your reply. I'll be out your way in January, fishing with Rick Lee. (He's actually the guy who strongly recommended the Rio Bonefish Quickshooter.) Hawaii is my favorite place on Earth, but this will be my first time fly fishing there.

The Airflo line sounds interesting, and I like the concept of the Ridge technology they use. However, I definitely want a high-floating line, since I need something general purpose that will also work well while wading without a boat. It's good to know that the Airflo running line might not float as well as others.

Who else has input?

Chris
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 AM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Here on Oahu also. I use the regular Rio Bonefish on my 7-9wts and Airflo Tropical Ridge on my 6wt. I really don't care for the Quickshooter line and I don't like Blue line. I fish only Tan line on the business end.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

I use the Airflow bonefish/redfish tropical ridge on my BVK...you will not be disappointed...it's amazing. Best line I've used to date...
Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

RIO Bonefish and RIO Tarpon have worked really well for me. Sometimes newer isn't necessarily better, Bonefish has caught A LOT of fish for a lot of people in a lot of places. Tarpon is great too, but it's not just for Tarpon...

PS- A lot of hubcaps get caught on 9wts, don't sweat it.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."

Last edited by labradorguy; 08-28-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 PM

hi tide is on a distinguished road

Crkoester, I wade with the airflo line all the time and I know people that do as well. It works fine for wading. Glad to here you like Hawaii. I think you can't go wrong with either airflo or the quick shooter. Just my opinion.

Capt. Jesse Cheape
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM

I went ahead and ordered the Airflo Bonefish/Redfish (sandy tan) floating line for my 8 wt TFO BVK. Still hoping for some more input though, as I'm undecided on a line for my 9 weight Loomis NRX. I thought I had settled on the Quickshooter until I read a review that suggested the NRX wouldn't handle it well and would perform better with a line with a longer head/back taper.

Interestingly enough, I placed and subsequently had to cancel orders from 2 different online retailers when neither of them actually had the Airflo line in stock. (My local fly shop does not carry Airflo at all). Ended up having to buy the line off eBay. Is Airflo that much of a "boutique" brand that product supply is an issue?

Chris
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

NRX is like dating a model. She doesn't compromise well, she doesn't care about what you like, and she has no qualms about letting you know when something doesn't suit her...
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

True enough. NRX is very line temperamental. I like Airflo Ridge Tropic and so does Scott X4s but NRX would rather stay in her tube than be loaded with it. NRX does like the yet to be released RIO non-stretch flats line and also likes RIO Tarpon. BVK (my wife fishes the #8 bonefishing) likes a heavy and aggressive line like SA Magnum...not a line or rod that impresses me though it works and we have yet to break it. An unusual line worth a cast is Cortland's Liquid Crystal Blue. It has limited stretch, casts like a bullet but is not a high floater...my Hardy ProAxis thinks its the bomb. Quickshooter is a loader not a caster...too short a head, while RIO Bonefish is tapered a lot like Gold with a good belly and long rear taper, it supports long loop stability and is a fine line as is original SA Mastery Bonefish...a fine line for a rod that prefers not to be overloaded. As is true of all rod/line match-ups, switching a variety of lines around on a big lawn goes a long way towards clarity before you travel to the flats. And hand tied Fluorocarbon leaders all around! NRX #9 loaded with RIO Tarpon or the new and similar (not tried by me yet) Permit will handle all but the heaviest permit flies and the fish that eat them occasionally.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

For Airflo line ordering and informed information, go to the source - Rajeff Sports.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I forgot to mention a line I wrote about below under "Saltwater Articles"...SA's Textured Grand Slam. This line was developed with Capt. Bruce Chard, it has an unusually short front taper, a long belly and longer rear taper. Intended to combine aggressive delivery of flies with weight on long leaders into wind while simultaneously promoting good loop stability, it is also a 1/2 size heavy. Proaxis liked it and so did I and I'll speculate it would be good for BVK too. Two alpha Bahamian bonefish guides did not like it though...they are convinced (though I am not - opinions anyone?) that the textured surface hissing sound is transmitted into the water irritating the bonefish. But I did catch fish with it...