The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM

birdontherocks is on a distinguished road
Default What Flies for Sanibel Island?

Heading to Sanibel in a few weeks. Any suggestions on Flies to bring with?

Thanks,
Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 PM

bbqdsunfish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Flies for Sanibel Island?

Guys on the Florida Sportsman forum swear by the Norm Zeigler Schminnow (white estaz body + white marabou tail). Norm's shop is in the middle of downtown - it's worth a stop.

Other have said shrimp flies in tan.

I waded at the lighthouse beach and blind pass. I had two big snook buzz me chasing a huge school of glass minnows. I didn't have time to change my fly, but I think a gummy minnow about 2" long would have won me the lotto. I didn't hook into anything, but I did see some bait guys at Blind Pass get into snook, redfish and speckled trout.

I also read clousers in various color combos will work also.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:25 PM

saltybum is on a distinguished road

Bait fish imitations in light colors and as said above shrimpy flies. The only snook I caught on the west coast surf turned down three different white flies but ate the brown shrimp thing.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

If you're going to fish in the surf (if you can call these little things here surf), use small baitfish patters, deceivers, etc. in white with green or grey backs. It won't hurt to tie a few shrimp and crabs, but for the most part the snook are feeding on those little fish.

Now, for pompano in the surf, they're feeding on mole crabs. Tie the eqiuvilent of a bi visible with a bead chain head in grey or grizzle with a bit of orange.

Remember, the fish feed INTO the current, so walk in the direction of the tidal flow. The fish will usually be just a couple of feet from shore, not twenty feet out, so walk well up on the sand and look ahead, crouch once you see the fish and wait for him to come to you.

If the fish is in close and makes a detour around you, he's wary and not thinking of feeding. Leapfrog and get ahead of him when he comes back close to shore and take another shot at him.

Fishing is great in the Ding Darling Wildlife Santuary, it's only a couple of dollars to get it, miles and miles of roads with culverts where jacks and ladyfish feed in the cuts. There's lots of wade fishing the flats there too.

In summer when it's really hot and ther's that goopy black olive color algea floating around you can actually catch some big mullet on dry flies. dubb lots and lots of olive/green maribou loosely on the hook and tie a beetle back of olive foam over the top of it to make it float.

They're very, very, very spooky to a bad cast and spit the fly out usually faster than you can strike, but they are supurb fighters on a fly rod.