The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Masters of the Salt

Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masters of the Salt

Outstanding! Thanks Rip! milt
Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Very cool.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:04 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Geat video, brings back good memories. Nothing like a good dose of nostalgia on a Sunday.

I can see Rodriguez Key, the monkey key that Bill Curtis was talking about, from the house. I had a buddy drop me off oceanside of that key with a stepladder one day while he took his son "exploring". I must have sat on that ladder for 4 hours before they finally came back for me.

During the interim, a guide came poling by with a customer and we joked for a bit as he worked up the flat. I ran into him later someplace, and we started fishing together on his days off - a fanatic fly fisherman. I guess I was fanatic enough for him. We bacame good friends and fished a lot together after he retired until he died about 10 years ago.

I used to fish the Tamiami Trail from the bank with poppers for bass as a kid, whenever I could talk my dad into taking me there. He didn't like it because there were thousands of cottonmouths everywhere then, west of Krome Ave. At around happy hour you could always see at least half a dozen snakes swimming in the canal - water snakes and mocassins both. But, man, did the bass love the popper.

Never saw Ted Williams there, but he did show up with Bud Leavitt (Bangor Daily News sportswriter) at Cable pool on the Naraguagus River in Maine when I was fishing for Atlantics when I was 14 or 15. We had moved to Maine when I was 13. So I got a chance to shake his hand.

I saw him at the Miami Sportsman show in '57 putting on a fly casting demonstration with Jack Sharkey - a distance casting champion and former professional boxer. He was doing the casting and Ted was doing the talking into the mic. The following Christmas I had my first fly rod.

Sorry to ramble. But thanks for the video - that's a good one.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I saw him at the Miami Sportsman show in '57 putting on a fly casting demonstration with Jack Sharkey - a distance casting champion and former professional boxer. He was doing the casting and Ted was doing the talking into the mic. The following Christmas I had my first fly rod.
Ted Williams was a early influence on me as well
I saw him and Jack Sharkey cast at the '63 and '64 Boston Sportsman shows and still remember them opening the doors and the two of them casting over the length of the pool and out the doors onto Boylston St
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a salt guy, but I enjoyed watching that very much. Thanks.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-09-2014, 06:51 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Norm,
Brings back a lot of memories to me. I started fly fishing the salt in 1968.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

John,

If you ever get a chance, try it some time on some big species from small boats. It's a real kick!

Rip, I've never met anyone who's heard of Jack Sharkey. Watching that line go back and forth for the first time really mesmoriized me. Even my dad was impressed and he wasn't a fisherman.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a salt guy either, but I really enjoyed that video, thanks for sharing.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I've never met anyone who's heard of Jack Sharkey. Watching that line go back and forth for the first time really mesmoriized me. Even my dad was impressed and he wasn't a fisherman.
I don't remember if I every knew who he was at the time, I was just a kid.
Since then I've looked it up.

Quote:
Never saw Ted Williams there, but he did show up with Bud Leavitt (Bangor Daily News sportswriter) at Cable pool on the Naraguagus River in Maine when I was fishing for Atlantics when I was 14 or 15. We had moved to Maine when I was 13. So I got a chance to shake his hand.
Reminds me of a story that Jack Gartside told about meeting Ted Williams when he was a boy.
Quote:
Jack.. "Ted Williams spoke to me today !"

Jack's friend... "What'd he say ?"

Jack... "Get out of my way kid"