The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scoutm
  • 1 Post By innes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 12:17 PM

scoutm is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing & Family - Vacation - Caribbean

THANKS FOR THE MOVE

I'm looking for recommendations for a good family vacation location that will allow me to get some fly fishing in. We want to go somewhere in the Caribbean. Looking to schedule the last week of January so needing to decide soon.

The trip will consist of my wife, son (4yrs old) & I along with my wife's sister, husband and son (20 years old). I'm the only one that fly fishes or fishes for that matter so there needs to be a lot of other activities to partake of...swimming, biking, snorkeling and etc.

I've looked at a number of places including this one :

Belize Vacation Resort on Ambergris Caye

It's review are very good and seems to be very Family friendly. Anyone have any feedback on it?

Anyone have any recommendations on another resort or destination? We are open to a lot of different places, Cancun, Belize, Costa Rica as long as there's white sand and warm water.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by scoutm; 11-12-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing & Family - Vacation - Caribbean

Bumping to the top to see if someone can give advice on the Caribbean.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 PM

scissorhands is on a distinguished road

El Pescador? Sounds like a fishing trip to me . Belize is nice, English speaking and safe. Bonefish are not huge, but plentiful. Go!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:41 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

If given the choice, I'd stay at Caye Caulker (Belize) rather than Ambergris.
Caulker has fewer tourists, fewer cars, and better food. You ride around in golf carts. Both have similar beaches (okay, not great). You can hire guides at either (Google).

If you were taking a fishing (only) vacation, I'd suggest somewhere more southern in Belize.

Placencia is very nice for a vacation. Your family would probably like it more than Caulker or Ambergris (better shopping, fewer threatening-type folks, less drug use). Beaches are not quite as nice, but good enough for sunbathing. PLENTY of guides in Placencia, and you'll be away from the crowds of fishermen found in the north of Belize.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Bumping to the top to see if someone can give advice on the Caribbean.
Thanks for the bump.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
If given the choice, I'd stay at Caye Caulker (Belize) rather than Ambergris.
Caulker has fewer tourists, fewer cars, and better food. You ride around in golf carts. Both have similar beaches (okay, not great). You can hire guides at either (Google).

If you were taking a fishing (only) vacation, I'd suggest somewhere more southern in Belize.

Placencia is very nice for a vacation. Your family would probably like it more than Caulker or Ambergris (better shopping, fewer threatening-type folks, less drug use). Beaches are not quite as nice, but good enough for sunbathing. PLENTY of guides in Placencia, and you'll be away from the crowds of fishermen found in the north of Belize.

Let us know what you decide.
Thanks for the info. I will look into those areas.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:45 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post
THANKS FOR THE MOVE

I'm looking for recommendations for a good family vacation location that will allow me to get some fly fishing in. We want to go somewhere in the Caribbean. Looking to schedule the last week of January so needing to decide soon.

The trip will consist of my wife, son (4yrs old) & I along with my wife's sister, husband and son (20 years old). I'm the only one that fly fishes or fishes for that matter so there needs to be a lot of other activities to partake of...swimming, biking, snorkeling and etc.

I've looked at a number of places including this one :

Belize Vacation Resort on Ambergris Caye

It's review are very good and seems to be very Family friendly. Anyone have any feedback on it?

Anyone have any recommendations on another resort or destination? We are open to a lot of different places, Cancun, Belize, Costa Rica as long as there's white sand and warm water.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
I would gladly take my family to that resort. Everything you'll need is close by and there's plenty of activities for the family. I just got back from San Pedro and the weather is great and the bones are plentiful. Recommend hiring Rojo out of the Tres Pescados Fly Shop. He knows all the spots. Good luck.
scoutm likes this.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 PM

normmcclean will become famous soon enough

I had a blast fishing in grand cayman. My wife was kept busy with shopping and there is very good public access for diy fishing and at the time no license I had wide open tarpon in the 5-15# range in the canals and a bunch of mixed bag on the ocean. If I was booking for fishing only it would be tropic star lodge or rancho leonero. Tuns of species that get overlooked by flyfishing world and a yellowfin tuna would smoke a tarpon any day.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:28 PM

roryodonnell is on a distinguished road

If you're ever in Europe, check out this guy.
Www.probassfisher.com
Thirtyards | The right place at the right time from Jim Hendrick, Wexford, Ireland.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:45 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough

Charter a big cat and sail the BVI. See and snorkel all the good spots and good fly fishing in Anegada.

We had a great time with these guys...
Cool Runnings
Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Some great ideas. Thanks.