The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By deceiverbob
  • 1 Post By mylobass
  • 1 Post By wjc
  • 2 Post By wjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 AM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all
Default 7 wt. & Saltwater application ?

I have a 10' 7 wt. I got primarily for steelhead and was wondering about cross over use into saltwater ? Mostly in the northeast , blues and strippers are what we get when I go ? Are there other species this would be good for if I make a trip to Fla. ?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 wt. & Saltwater application ?

I suppose you could use a 7.
Of the rods that I use, two are 8wts, plus I have two 9s and a 10.
I overline both my 8wts however. The 9' with a 9wt line, the 10' with an 11.
It's the line that throws the fly, not the rod, and if the rod can handle a heavier line, that's what matters.
bigjim5589 and eastfly66 like this.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 PM

deceiverbob is on a distinguished road

In Florida a 7 wt is plenty of rod for speckled trout, slot sized red fish, Spanish mackerel and many other fish.
tbblom and eastfly66 like this.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

I use a 6wt several times a week for sea trout, reds and snook. They are not always big, especially since the past freeze but I have gotten snook over 10# with the six. I don't do it around structure but its plenty on the summer surf and the vast canal system all along the coast.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

My bonefish rod (wading) was a 7 wt TCX x 9 foot. As Deceiver Bob said, there are lots of fish down here that can be caught on a 7 on calm days.

That extra foot would be kind of a pain in a boat unless you are used to stripping a bunch of slack at the end of the fight and throwing the rod tip back over your shoulder so you can grab the line on the fish side of the tip.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
My bonefish rod (wading) was a 7 wt TCX x 9 foot. As Deceiver Bob said, there are lots of fish down here that can be caught on a 7 on calm days.

That extra foot would be kind of a pain in a boat unless you are used to stripping a bunch of slack at the end of the fight and throwing the rod tip back over your shoulder so you can grab the line on the fish side of the tip.
Good point I didn't even think of ....
Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've caught plenty of Stripers up to 30" & Bluefish on my 6 wt, but like Rip my most used now are in the 8 to 10 range. Mostly it's a matter of tossing bigger & heavier flies & windy conditions. But, in the right situation, nothing wrong with a 6 or your 7 wt. If you've never fished for Shad in the spring, that 7 might be a good choice, especially when the bigger White shad get into the rivers & streams. I've caught plenty of Hickory & White Shad on my 6 wt as well & they migrate into rivers & streams all along the Atlantic coast, even in Florida!

Fact is, every rod we choose will be a compromise no matter if used in the salt or in freshwater. Sometimes they'll be perfect, other times not so perfect for the conditions & situation.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 PM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 9' 7wt that I have fished on the ML in east central FL....I was able to cast into some fairly strong winds. The rod was overpowering for the fish that I was catching. I did not cast any flies over a Size #1 as I recall. The rod that I have has a lot of back bone and I am sure it would handle some sizeable fish if I am smart enough to find them. I personally am not sure there is any benefit for a 10' rod and I would think that it would be more stressful to cast a 10' rod in the wind than a 9' rod. I know that a 8' rod is more stressful than a 6' rod. When you get old and fat the less stress the better.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditz
When you get old and fat the less stress the better

Gettin old and skinny ain't no box of chocolates either.
duker and eastfly66 like this.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:06 AM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

WJC....hahaha.....golden years my ^$$