The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ezduzit
  • 1 Post By 9iron
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 10:20 PM

jackie1111111 is on a distinguished road
Default loreto mexico

Hey guys I'm going to loreto mexico for spring break in march for 10 days. I will bring my 8 weight rod with clear intermediate sinking line and floating line. What flies should I bring and what fish will I catch? There is a large bay in front of our house with the max depth being 4 feet for about 100 yards out. Also if anyone knows any good lures to bring my brother will be spin casting.
Any help will be awesome!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 AM

ezduzit has a spectacular aura aboutezduzit has a spectacular aura aboutezduzit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: loreto mexico

Loreto is the Yellowtail (and giant squid) Capital of the World. So you should also bring a jigging rod and take a panga ride.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM

9iron has a spectacular aura about9iron has a spectacular aura about

You can fish for miscellaneous little fishes from the jetty by the marina, who knows what you might find from your beach, but for the most part the game fish are working the submerged reefs between Carmen island and Coronado island. Yellowtail, Dorado, Sailfish, Marlin. I've been a few times, always in July. The Panga fleet finds floating sargasso pads and you throw flies around the grass as the fish hide under it. The biggest fish come to conventional gear guys who skate big mackerel on the surface.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Clousers and zonkers and crazy charlies will be good from the beach. That time of year should have sierra so bring wire leader. You should find some lady fish and the odd Jack crevalle and maybe a rooster. Youll find cabrilla and the aweful cornet fish near rocks. You never know what could show up. The crazy charlies will work for pompano. They can be a hoot from the beach and believe it or not, Ive caught bones in baja. theyre rare, but theyre there. If you do hire a panga youre gonna want at least a 10wt. That time of year can be lousy with yellow tail and an 8wt just wont cut it.
Be prepared for wicked wind. November thru April s north wind season and it is nasty. Causing rough, murky inshore conditions and grounds the panga fleets.
i like a clear intermediate line or a sink tip line for surf casting in the baja
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 PM

jackie1111111 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. What tippet should I bring?