The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By fishordie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road
Default Tarpon head Chronicles (Un-Friggin Believable)

Today, here at Belize River Lodge (Story for another post) I just came back from the greatest Tarpon, fly fishing, morning one could hope for. My guide John asked me if I was up for a long shot Tarpon expedition which would take 1.5 hours each way by boat in travel time. Without hesitation my answer was a resounding "Absolutely". To say the morning was like Mana from heaven would be an understatement. Without too much detail, John had me switch my 11 Wt. Floating, WF, Snake skin line to my 400 grain 11 Wt. Line. I found some heavier flies I had in my box for several years (Most of my Tarpon flies are not weighted like these and I am going to need help finding these again) and off we went. The boat ride from BRL was delightful as the weather was perfect while the winds and wave were almost non existent. Within minutes of our arrival we saw Tarpon tails and breaking fish. Awesome but neither of us expected what came next.

John set me up about 70 - 90 feet away from the mangroves where the Tarpon could be free to cruise up and down river while I cast the fly just off the mangrove roots. Long casts right up to the mangroves, the 400 grain line, just the right amount of allowing the fly to sink and the heavier fly was just the right combination to allowed me to set the hook into at least (We lost track but this is a conservative estimate) 45 Tarpon ranging from about 10 - 40 pounds BEFORE LUNCH. The Biggest landed was about 25 pounds or so. More were hooked and landed after lunch but nothing like the 3 or so hours we had prior to John laying out the noon time meal. I ended up setting a hook into at least 50+ Tarpon for the day.

Somehow, I left my heavier rolls of flouro on my bed while packing so the first several fish chewed through my lighter leaders. John found a bit of heavier mono in his bag, tied some on, and we were off to the races as I could land those fish very, very quickly and the Tarpon were not going to chew thru. Many of the Tarpon, being Tarpon, found ways to toss the fly but I got more than my share boated or leadered (Well into double digits) while John and I were treated to a full day of about 2 - 300 aerial acrobatics leaps by the fish.

Just to put some icing on the cake we somehow managed to spy some Snook moving on the other side of the river while the action slowed on the Tarpon. John started up the motor and in about 1 minute I was able to pull a Snook out of the mangroves to be released by John at the boat. Very soon thereafter we saw another group of breaking fish which turned out to be a mix of Jacks and Tarpon so some large and small Jacks (Not my targeted species) again were boated along with another several Tarpon. Wind and weather permitting I will be back to the same area tomorrow as John noted we never got to his honey hole. I cannot image any hole could be sweeter than the one I fished today (Did I really just say that?)

I will try and make a full write up when I get back but the short of it is the folks at Belize River Lodge are absolutely delightful and could not be more accommodating. The food has been off the hook fantastic with custom creations made by the in-house staff and chef. The weather has been amazing. And just as amazingly the gentleman who was here before me specifically targeted and managed to land 61 Snook in the time he was here.
Unreal.

As always I note, if you are not here today you cannot have been here yesterday and I NEVER want to hear.... You should have been here yesterday.

Jamie
Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 AM

chechem is a jewel in the roughchechem is a jewel in the roughchechem is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tarpon head Chronicles (Un-Friggin Believable)

Bravo!

Many more of these Belize threads, and the place will get crowded. But for now there's plenty of room. Thanks for posting.