A journey through time

wjc

Reaction score
That’s what I’m hoping will happen mid-April – when I step into the waters of Andros Island. Back to the days when I could catch bones on practically any shoreline ten miles either direction from where I am sitting.

But all I have is questions for those who’ve been (S&S). :D

This will be a DIY trip with a day or two guided most likely. The two lodging options I sent my 2 buddies who will be going are “Love at First Sights” hotel in Stafford Creek and "Two Boys Inn" at Cargill Creek.

I don’t know one from the other except for the price difference and reputation of Frankie Neymour at the latter. Am hoping someone has been to one or the other or has guide recommendations on the former. An idea of guide prices wouldn’t hurt either. We'd like to go out a day or two with a guide. Three is a bad number but perhaps we can find another single over there for a day. Otherwise, we'll rotate. It would be nice if 3 could go and he would drop off one of us (me would be fine) on a good flat to wade. I prefer wading for bones.

Any other inexpensive options or thoughts are welcome.

I'm planning on staying a week, my buddies, 3 days. I'll be on my own without a guide after they leave. We'll likely be renting a car and hopefully find some rental kayaks as well. Any info on those would be helpful though I'm not hopeful in that regard.

I've based much of my plans/options on this article. The guy seems to have spent a lot of time in the area and writes well besides. Do It Yourself Bonefishing » North Andros

Since I’ve never had to carry a pack bonefishing, I will need to buy one to carry water, food and other essentials. It appears that there will be a lot of walking to get to areas around Stafford Creek. I’ve read a lot of the reviews on them but did not hear much about comfort and restriction of movement while doublehauling. I hate to buy without trying. I figure I’ll need at least 2 quarts of water. Any real favorites for guys who tromp the flats from dawn till dark?

I picked Andros over other places for its close proximity, its affordability (I hope) and its reputation for good sized fish. Fish size can vary considerably from area to area in a relatively short distance and I wonder if there is much between the two areas above. I would rather catch 10 good fish than 200 2 pounders. Many of the you tube videos show schools of hundreds that look about the size of east coast mullet.

The other question is bottom. I wear tennis shoes here, but most all of the jagged, eroded limestone is right at the high tide mark, and once in the water, gives way to sand or crunchy bottom intersperced with sand or vast swaths of muck. What’s the terrain over there like?

As for rods, I’ll be taking a 7, 2 eights, and a 9 along with 4 good reels. I don’t plan on fishing for any tarpon as the season for them here will be prime when I get back, and they have continued to be plentiful locally through the years. Speaking of which, barring any catastrophies, Jackster will be joining me in May to go after some mean mama greenbacks. I am really getting psyched thinking about it as I sit here freezing. I even had to put socks on today, the tile is so cold.

Thanks for any information any of you may be able to provide.

Added : Larry, just saw the Bahamas section for the first time. So many different headings I still don't know them all. Thanks for the info you provided there.

Last edited:

tbblom

Reaction score
" I even had to put socks on today, the tile is so cold." lol...

Man, we should have moved to Florida! Temps in the 20's at night here this week. The marsh froze last night. But it was warm last week and I finally caught a trout.
I don't know why, but casting with a pack on makes my back hurt after a while. Patagucci makes a cool looking drybag/backpack that is small and might work for you. Might be nice in a kayak too. We found some cheapo dry bags at costco that lasted a short while, but they are fairly comfortable to wear as a backpack and at that price, basically disposable or repairable.
Sounds like a good trip! Good luck out there.
TB

ditz

Reaction score
Man I wished I could help but alas I have never had the opportunity to get to the Bahamas. I bid you a great trip and I hope for a detailed report. I might make solo trip there depending on your experience. My wife does not fish but I am sure she would make the trip to spend some beach time. I have seen some 'fanny packs' that have fairly large storage compartment that have two water bottle holders that might work out well for you. I generally carry a shoulder bag for flies, etc. and I would have no problem personally doing that on the flats along with a good fanny pack for food and water. Both would be important to me since I am diabetic and I need food at frequent intervals. The belt would get lighter as the day progressed and food and water was consumed. What a great trip you have planned and I wish you the best.:thumbup:

tbblom

Reaction score
Hey Jim,
Barring any weird work schedule, I'm hoping to make the drive down to the Keys sometime in May, hopefully late May. I got Tarpon fever bad! (I guess slang for tarpon is a bad word?)
TB

ditz

Reaction score
get some flats wading booties......Never used them or had a need for them yet but I would sure get the ones with the hard soles to better protect the feet. Wading a flat all day with a sore foot would not be my idea of enjoyment. Good insurance IMO.

wjc

Reaction score
Ditz,

Maybe I'll just get a couple pairs of those cheap neoprene ones that rot in a year and the zippers go out on in 6 months or less. I havent seen a lot of jagged coral/limestone in the videos on youtube.

We've all got our reservations now, and Doc decided to overlap with Dan, so I'll have a fishing partner most of the time. I'm hoping to get Dan hooked up to a tarpon the day he arrives here before we fly out the following morning. Doc is still a working vascular surgeon and hospital dept head, so he'll get an extra two days of fishing by arriving mid-week and leaving on a Sunday rather than vice versa.

I got one way tickets, and may stay even longer. :D

wjc

Reaction score
OK, so I wound up with Patagonia wading booties.

After much searching of old threads here and online spec comparing, I ordered a CamelBak Octaine 18X hydration backpack. It has a 3 Liter water bladder and way more than enough room for what I'll be packing. It has the skinniest pack bag I've seen and I don't think it will impede casting too badly.