The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 PM

beartooth tenkara is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Red Fish Question

I have recently begun chasing warm water fish. I have a 7wt 9 ft rod for bass fishing. I am wondering if I can use it on red fish in the ICW and creeks. I have private access about 1 hour from my house here in SC. Do I need a salt line? What about rod? reel?

I use a kayak as well to fish for bass and figure it will be perfect for chasing reds.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newbie Red Fish Question

What you have should be fine. If the reel is not made for the salt, just be sure to take the care to wash any salt off of it after each trip.

I fish primarily in tidal waters & use the same gear for bass as I do for saltwater fish here in MD, although the salt content in the waters I fish is likely not as high as where you are.

I'm taking a trip to SC on Thursday to visit my one son who lives in Charleston & check out some houses for a possible relocation. My experience with Redfish so far has been limited (I've landed two & spooked many) but I'm looking to change that also!
MoscaPescador and ditz like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 PM

deceiverbob is on a distinguished road

I've caught plenty of redfish on 6wts so your 7 should be fine. As far as lines my favorite redfish line for my 6 is a Wulff triangle taper bass line, so your bass fishing line should be able to do double duty.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 AM

living_water is on a distinguished road

beartooth tenkara, a 7# with a bass set up will do the trick. Just give it a good rinse when your done. If you get serious about redfish and saltwater a 8# is a great all around rod. I use 7-10 # depending on wind conditions and size of fish. A quick loading line like Orvis redfish /bone fish tapper or any of the Rio, Wulff salt water lines.. are great choices. Where are you located in SC? I live and fish the Pawleys island / Georgetown area
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

Yepper, your 7wt will be great. BigJim's comment is right on about rinsing after each trip but I would add "immediately" after. You may find that the wind may give you some casting grief. If you find wind to be a problem and you want to continue chasing inshore reds go to a 9wt rig. There is not a lot of difference between a 7 and 8wt. IMO. I have both high end lines and low end. I have specialty lines and generic. I personally don't find a major difference. Buy what you are comfortable with and don't look back. I have Wulff, SA, Rio, and some cheap no name lines. They all work. Some a little better than the others. Are the high end lines worth 4x the money? Depends on one's perspective.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't go to often, but it is something I could add to adventure list. I am in Orangeburg. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 AM

wolfglen has a spectacular aura aboutwolfglen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth tenkara View Post
I have recently begun chasing warm water fish. I have a 7wt 9 ft rod for bass fishing. I am wondering if I can use it on red fish in the ICW and creeks. I have private access about 1 hour from my house here in SC. Do I need a salt line? What about rod? reel?

I use a kayak as well to fish for bass and figure it will be perfect for chasing reds.
I do most of my salt water fly fishing with a 7 wt. next to that I use a 9.

The 7 will probably be fine as long as it has enough backbone.

Some manufacturer's try to pare down the physical (not line) weight of the rod by scrimping on butt stiffness, if so, it could be a problem.

One company might take a rod which is fine for a 5,6,7 and call it a 7 wt because they are testing it at short distances while another company might call a rod for a 7,8,9 a 7 wt because they are testing it as longer casting distances.

As long as it has enough backbone for casting, hook set and fighting the size fish you are planning on pursuing.
ditz likes this.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

Wolfglen has hit it on the nose once again.....My 7wt has the backbone of many 9wts. I am guessing that your 7wt must have some backbone or it would not throw your larger bass bugs very well.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Compared to my 5 wt and my tenkara rods it feels like a pipe. I jerked a 8 inch bass out of the pond and 40 feet behind me last night when I saw him take the wooly booger.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM

I'd say it will work fine. An 8" bass is easy to jerk out of the water on the hook-set.