The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Long Island Bahamas Bonefish DIY info desired............. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/3636-long-island-bahamas-bonefish-diy-info-desired.html)

cutthroat 03-21-2008 07:01 PM

Long Island Bahamas Bonefish DIY info desired.............

First post here. I have been a Fly Fisherman for 35 years and like Saltwater a lot!

I am planning a trip to Long Island in the Bahamas in about a year or so. Any information from forum members on DIY BoneFishing, Accommodations, Dining would be appreciated.

I have Bonefished on Exuma and Abaco a few times - so not a newbie to Bonefishing, but I have never been to Long Island.

I am especially interested in Car Rentals - Who to use and what it costs. And if someone wants to draw a map and point out a flat, I'll buy you a beer!:)

FISHN50 03-21-2008 07:26 PM

Re: Long Island Bahamas Bonefish DIY info desired.............

I can't help you much on a DIY trip but a bunch of us were at Dead man's cay last Nov. & stayed @ the Greenwich creek lodge for a week. The guides were all great & put us onto fish consistently & that was the week after that Hurricane dropped 20 "'s of rain on the island, leaving the inner flats water almost fresh early in our week's stay. That was my first bonefishing trip & I loved it. We're going to do it again in Nov. If you get a guide try to get out to " Turtle Rock" it was quite an experience...Make mine a Kalik

cutthroat 03-21-2008 08:12 PM

Hey, thanks for you post! - I probably will hire a guide for a couple days. I usually do. What did the guides charge per day there? How many fish did you average hooking up with per day?

Did the guides think that conditions were bad, average or good when you were there?

FISHN50 03-27-2008 05:18 PM

When we went out to "Turtle Rock" I stopped fishing after about 20 fish. The Lemon sharks came around & even though the guide said "They won't bother you mon" & noticing he was standing in the boat I climbed in, grabbed a Kalik & watched my buddies catch fish..Turtle rock is an above the surface reef about 20'X6'. Its on a mound & the bonefish where just swimming around it. It was fun but I enjoyed the flats more. It was like doing my 2 favorite things, hunting & fishing at the same time. On the flats on my worst day I hooked about 6 fish & I did a lot better after I learned not to cast to every grass spot I saw unless it was moving. I definitely missed a lot of fish & drove the guide crazy. He handled it well, he only cried once. My partner had some mobility problems so most of the time the guide was with him in the boat & I stalked on the other side of the flat. I loved it. The guides were part of a package so I don't know their daily cost but they were well worth it. Like I said we're doing the exact same trip again next year. Early in the week with all that fresh water in the inner flats they warned us that the conditions were not the best & they took us to the outer flats & Turtle Rock. Later in the week conditions improved & we didn't have that long boat ride of 45-60 min to get to fish. All the guides were related & were experienced. I've had guided trips before & these guys rank among the best.

jbflyfish 04-04-2009 12:48 PM

Hello,
Exciting to hear good things about Long Island. I have never been to Long Island. I have been to a few Bahamas destinations and Long Island seems a little more remote. Did you find any good maps for the do-it-yourselfer? I am also curious if the standard bonefish flies were effective or if there is a special fly that was more productive.
Look forward to talking about Long Island.
JB

pwdrhd 04-14-2009 09:05 PM

Hey Cutthroat, I'll keep watching this thread. I am planning a trip to Long Island in Sept. (for a Honeymoon, she wanted a warm beach to lounge on, so I found one with bonefish!) I am interested in all the same things you are, availability and cost, DIY bonefishing etc. I too will probably do a day or two with guides but also can't afford a guide every day I want to fish.

When are you going?

Thanks!
Scott

cutthroat 04-15-2009 04:10 PM

Scott,

I never did make it to Long island, but it is still on my list. I ended up Fishing in Florida a few times instead. Biscayne Bay and the Everglades. The Bones are bigger there, but much tougher to catch!

King Fisher 04-19-2009 08:50 AM

There is an oustanding Bahamas bonefishing post on inshorefishing.com. In fact, I'm planning a trip there with another couple in a year or so. definitely worth checking out.

BMWrider 06-26-2009 12:05 PM

I have fished on Long Island twice in the past year. Once with Docky Smith who works out of the Stella Maris resort on the north end of the island and on the south end with Samuel Knowles. Both are excellent guides. Do a google search and you will find other guides. The cost is going to be in the $450 range. Booking with Samuel Knowles is nearly impossible since he has repeat business that books a year in advance.

As to self-guided fishing I would be a bit hesitant since without specific knowledge of the flats you could be in for a nightmare. There are many hard flat but there is also muck that would kill you. The flats especially on the south end of the island are enormous most of which are accessible only by boat. Finding the fish on a given day is the biggest issue which can be challenging at times even for the guides. There are good numbers of fish but where they are on a given day is the issue. The bones can be on the flats, moving on the channel edges, or sometimes hanging out in deep water in the channels. Looking out over huge flats without a fish in site is tough business indeed. There are flats in the south end of Long Island that are easily the size of 100 football fields. The lack of mobility of only wade fishing on a self-guided trip could mean you don't see any fish. A flat can be barren but a few minutes later could have fish all around then they are gone just as quickly. The ability to move about with a guide is money well spent if your going to the make the effort and incur the travel expenses to get to Long Island.

BMWrider