Does anyone here chase Speckled trout in the gulf?

mudbug

Reaction score
I have been going to LA to fish a could times a year for the last 3 years. The people I fish with are all gear chuckers (mostly rubbertail jigs and sometimes crankbaits) and they get a kick out of the guy with the Buggy Whip.

They love chasing Specs out by the oil rigs when I go out in the spring (next trip is the end of this month), and they do great, but I struggle to get even close to the numbers they get.

I generally fish an 8wt, but if the wind is down I will use my 6wt, usinf an Orvis Depth Charger line to get me down in the 15ft of water we fish. and the standard flies like clousers etc, plus some strange articulated clousers I tied up with those curly flytails in the rear hook to try and mimic the jigs they use.

Anybody have any tips?

deceiverbob

Reaction score
You may get more answers here
Louisiana Fly Fishing Community

I do some speck fishing with flies but in wading depth water. Like you I catch most of my fish on clousers. Sometimes it is more effective to fish the flies under a "V.O.S.I." Directions for making them can be found on the link above.

wolfglen

Reaction score
You may get more answers here
Louisiana Fly Fishing Community

I do some speck fishing with flies but in wading depth water. Like you I catch most of my fish on clousers. Sometimes it is more effective to fish the flies under a "V.O.S.I." Directions for making them can be found on the link above.
Here is Sw Florida, most of the sea trout fishing I do for specs is on the grass flats, but there is some great fly fishing for silvers in 10=12' of water where they hold about 2/3 of the way down.

In addition to your clousers, I'd include a bunch of them tied the way they were before lead eyes, just bead chain. If you find you're picking up bottom grass on every cast, switch to the origional bead chain bucktails which won't sink quite so fast. You'll also find them easier to cast.

A little trick is to bend the eye a little so that it lowers the center of gravity to keep the point up. You can also add a weed guard in a loop of 6 or 8 lb test. That's all that's necessary. So many people tie weed loops with mono so heavy that they end up fish less as well as weed less. Remember, it' only the fly that gets pushed away, not the weeds. All you need is enough stiffness in that loop to support the weight of the fly IN WATER

deceiverbob

Reaction score
We have silver trout in Miss also, but here they are called white trout. In summer they often school over 4-6 ' water and when found they can be caught on every cast. I occasionally fish for them off lighted docks at night with a 4 wt.

wolfglen

Reaction score
We have silver trout in Miss also, but here they are called white trout. In summer they often school over 4-6 ' water and when found they can be caught on every cast. I occasionally fish for them off lighted docks at night with a 4 wt.
Let's see, some places they call them white trout, sand trout, silver trout, then there are places they call the little croakers white trout or sand trout.

These run from 12-16" but they fight a lot harder for their size than the specks.
Never could figure that one out.

They're a lot of fun on a 10 $4.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
they do great, but I struggle to get even close to the numbers they get.
I generally fish an 8wt, but if the wind is down I will use my 6wt, usinf an Orvis Depth Charger line to get me down in the 15ft of water we fish. and the standard flies like clousers etc, plus some strange articulated clousers I tied up with those curly flytails in the rear hook to try and mimic the jigs they use.
Mud, I've never fished the gulf, but these remarks you've made IMO tells the story. First, I don't know how you expect to compete on numbers with the other gear guys or why you want to. They can cast & retrieve, and get their lures down much faster than you can, so they have the advantage in that regard. Even with a fast sinking line you still have to wait for the fly to get down to the same levels those other guys can get their lures.

Perhaps, in your desire to "compete" you're not concentrating on how to effectively fish your flies. To me, that would be the first consideration to change your success rate. Use what you've got to the utmost.

You didn't say how long your leaders/tippets are, but to get a fly down faster with sinking lines you generally have to go shorter, like 3' to 5' total. A straight leader/tippet is all you need for this. However, you have to take into consideration the possibility of spooking fish with the line if the waters clear. I would still start with the shorter section & go longer if necessary. But, if you do have to go longer, you have to also understand the flies going to take longer to sink. Add some current & that too complicates the situation.

All fishing methods have pros & cons & it's not always a fair comparison when doing so across the different methods. I know I can usually catch more fish on spinning or casting tackle than I can fly tackle, but I still enjoy using the fly tackle the most. Doesn't mean I can "compete" with others using other gear & I don't even try. I'm not fly fishing for that reason.

Perhaps you might consider the same.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have the proper gear for what you're doing.

The only other consideration I can think of is the size of the flies compared to what the other guys are using with lures. If they're having success with 4" lures for example, you may want to have flies of similar size & profile. IMO, it would not make good sense to be out there tossing flies that are considerably different in size in a case like that.

Of course the fish always tell us what they want, so have a variety & IMO the wider the variety you have in size the better your chances of having what they may want. That goes for sink rate too. All jig sizes don't sink at the same rate. ;)

tbblom

Reaction score
My soon-to-be-father-in-law generally outfishes me for specks using an old gold or silver spoon on a quick retrieve.
What I've deduced is that they really respond to the flash, speed, and wobble of the spoon. He is getting a very reactionary bite as he cruises the spoon over a hole; the fish has no time to decide, it just has to hit or not.
Try lots of silver, pearl, or gold flash on your flies and keep them moving quickly, maybe even use a two handed retrieve after letting the fly sink a bit. Something like the curly tails might help as well. You could also try glass rattles in your flies, as the crankbaits your friends are using surely make some rattling noise. If the water is opaque, use deer hair headed flies to push some water and make some noise.
In murky everglades water I've had luck using electric chicken colors (hot pink and chartreuse), when fishing alongside shrimp-chuckers. Here in NC I've caught a few on white gurglers and white bunny flies (similar to a slumpbuster).
Your friends are throwing heavy lures that get down quick, don't be afraid to add some split shot above the fly, use heavy barbells, and a sinking line. Good luck and don't hit yourself on the back of the head with those barbell flies! (ask me how I know!)

ditz

Reaction score
BigJim is correct about the tackle. Fly gear is much better in shallow water and 6' is getting to max. as far as being the most productive and more shallow is better. You have proved it can be done just like there are fellas that fish walleye on the fly also but it is not the easiest nor the most productive. It sounds like you have been doing pretty well considering your method. It was mentioned that flashy was working well so tie up a hand full of flashy flies and use the two handed retrieve. Just the flash may work. Remember, the faster you fish the fly the faster it will actually rise from it's starting point and you may bring the fly up and out of the strike zone with a fast retrieve. If numbers is your game you may well have to dig out the spinning gear. :eek:

wolfglen

Reaction score
I have been going to LA to fish a could times a year for the last 3 years. The people I fish with are all gear chuckers (mostly rubbertail jigs and sometimes crankbaits) and they get a kick out of the guy with the Buggy Whip.

They love chasing Specs out by the oil rigs when I go out in the spring (next trip is the end of this month), and they do great, but I struggle to get even close to the numbers they get.

Anybody have any tips?
Remember, you have to THINK like a fish. Too many anglers make the cast and immediately start thinking about their next cast and are in a hurry to get the line in for their next cast. It's sub conscious, but it's there.

Think about where you want the fly to go, think about how the current will get it there. Think about how to cast to that spot with the line drag not affecting getting it thers.

Once it's there, concentrate on making the fly do exactly what the prey upon the fish is feeding on. That's the secret.

Jack

mudbug

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. A few things.

1) I don't really need to match then in numbers, just looking for some tips for more success since this is kinda new to me and none of the people I fish with have any experience fly fishing for specs.

2) when we find them busting shrimp on the surface, I do well with a gurgler.

3) I fish out of bayou dularge and I know that there are some other fly fisherman down there, but I have never seen them. People treat me as an oddity.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
1) I don't really need to match then in numbers, just looking for some tips for more success since this is kinda new to me and none of the people I fish with have any experience fly fishing for specs.
It's been my experience that fly fishing is simply another method that may or may not compare to other methods as far as numbers are concerned. Much depends on the situation.

Sounds like you want to fish with flies, but want similar results that the other guys you fish with are getting with other tackle. You may not be able to achieve it, but nothing wrong with trying. However, you have to stay within the method. That's what I was trying to say above in my first post.

From what you said, you may be doing everything you can as far as the gear & flies you're using. The rest would be how you present them. Since you're fishing with guys who are using other methods, that in itself may be putting you at a disadvantage. I've fly fished from the same boat with other guys using spinning or casting tackle & it can be difficult unless everyone is on the same page.

2) when we find them busting shrimp on the surface, I do well with a gurgler.
That sounds like a blast & I see no reason you should change what you're doing! You've got to go with what works!

3) I fish out of bayou dularge and I know that there are some other fly fisherman down there, but I have never seen them. People treat me as an oddity.
You & I are kindred spirits then! Most of my life I've been treated as "different" because I fly fished, because those around me didn't & I've fished many times in places that few or no other fly angler visited.

IF you need to change something, IMO you should seek out any others who do fly fish that area & talk with them to get as much first hand knowledge as they might be willing to pass along to you for that area. Much of what we may try to say here will only be generalized, so getting advice from others who fish the same waters hopefully would be better for you.

You may have to go the extra distance to find those folks, but IMO it should be worthwhile. If they won't help, then keep doing what you're doing & try to make every outing a learning experience. That's the best any of us can hope for when we don't have much first hand guidance.

Please keep us informed on your progress with this, as it could be a good way for others to deal with similar situations.

As I think back, I remember times I was the only one with a fly rod & sometimes that worked out well, while other times I had to put it aside & go with what was working for others I was fishing with. :)

mudbug

Reaction score
Sounds like you want to fish with flies, but want si exmilar results that the other guys you fish with are getting with other tackle
I don't know why you keep saying this, I don't expect to get the same results, I just want to make sure I'm doing as good as I can, I'm sure there is something I can do to improve what doing with these fish.

Lsuhunter

Reaction score
I don't have much fly fishing experience for specks but I grew up in Louisiana fishing for them all the time. Would stood out to me is that you are fishig the rigs, which will always be deeper water. I think your biggest problem is keeping the fly down in the strike zone, bc every strip of line during the retrieve is going to lift it higher and higher. I would tie heavier flies for starters, maybe try adding some lead wire to the hook shank and weighted dumb bell eyes. In my experience, fish around the rigs are generally deeper in the water near the bottom. If your friends are throwing popping corks and catching fish, then you know it is not a depth issue but I would assume they probably aren't in the deeper water at the rigs. If that doesn't help, then make them take you back into the marsh and show them up on some shallow water redfish.

I am flying home this weekend and get to fish one evening for specks. If the wind and fish cooperate, I will let you know how I do.

UptownAngler

Reaction score

Anybody have any tips?
I was in Grand Isle LA Last week. I Limited out on specks. Well I would have if i wasn't throwing them back. I was using my orvis recon 6wt and olive and white clouser patterns. I left New Orleans at 11 pm. I arrived in grand isle around 1 AM. Park at the bait shop Walk out to on the bridge and fish in the lights. There are hundreds of fish feeding in these lights and to be perfectly honest some lights you get on feel like shooting fish out of a barrel. I litterly would cast and as soon as my fly hit the water Fish On!!!! I think I caught 10 in 2 minutes. At other times I was catching one every 5 minutes but over all that was the most productive speck fishing I have ever done in my life. Now that I gave away my fishing spot I'm Sure it will get blow up but that's ok maybe we can convert so bait casters ;)