The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 03:13 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Does anyone here chase Speckled trout in the gulf?

I have been going to LA to fish a could times a year for the last 3 years. The people I fish with are all gear chuckers (mostly rubbertail jigs and sometimes crankbaits) and they get a kick out of the guy with the Buggy Whip.

They love chasing Specs out by the oil rigs when I go out in the spring (next trip is the end of this month), and they do great, but I struggle to get even close to the numbers they get.

I generally fish an 8wt, but if the wind is down I will use my 6wt, usinf an Orvis Depth Charger line to get me down in the 15ft of water we fish. and the standard flies like clousers etc, plus some strange articulated clousers I tied up with those curly flytails in the rear hook to try and mimic the jigs they use.

Anybody have any tips?
Old 05-09-2015, 03:39 PM

deceiverbob will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does anyone here chase Speckled trout in the gulf?

You may get more answers here
Louisiana Fly Fishing Community

I do some speck fishing with flies but in wading depth water. Like you I catch most of my fish on clousers. Sometimes it is more effective to fish the flies under a "V.O.S.I." Directions for making them can be found on the link above.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
You may get more answers here
Louisiana Fly Fishing Community

I do some speck fishing with flies but in wading depth water. Like you I catch most of my fish on clousers. Sometimes it is more effective to fish the flies under a "V.O.S.I." Directions for making them can be found on the link above.
Here is Sw Florida, most of the sea trout fishing I do for specs is on the grass flats, but there is some great fly fishing for silvers in 10=12' of water where they hold about 2/3 of the way down.

In addition to your clousers, I'd include a bunch of them tied the way they were before lead eyes, just bead chain. If you find you're picking up bottom grass on every cast, switch to the origional bead chain bucktails which won't sink quite so fast. You'll also find them easier to cast.

A little trick is to bend the eye a little so that it lowers the center of gravity to keep the point up. You can also add a weed guard in a loop of 6 or 8 lb test. That's all that's necessary. So many people tie weed loops with mono so heavy that they end up fish less as well as weed less. Remember, it' only the fly that gets pushed away, not the weeds. All you need is enough stiffness in that loop to support the weight of the fly IN WATER
ditz likes this.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:07 PM

deceiverbob will become famous soon enough

We have silver trout in Miss also, but here they are called white trout. In summer they often school over 4-6 ' water and when found they can be caught on every cast. I occasionally fish for them off lighted docks at night with a 4 wt.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:25 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
We have silver trout in Miss also, but here they are called white trout. In summer they often school over 4-6 ' water and when found they can be caught on every cast. I occasionally fish for them off lighted docks at night with a 4 wt.
Let's see, some places they call them white trout, sand trout, silver trout, then there are places they call the little croakers white trout or sand trout.

These run from 12-16" but they fight a lot harder for their size than the specks.
Never could figure that one out.

They're a lot of fun on a 10 $4.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:50 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
they do great, but I struggle to get even close to the numbers they get.
Quote:
I generally fish an 8wt, but if the wind is down I will use my 6wt, usinf an Orvis Depth Charger line to get me down in the 15ft of water we fish. and the standard flies like clousers etc, plus some strange articulated clousers I tied up with those curly flytails in the rear hook to try and mimic the jigs they use.
Mud, I've never fished the gulf, but these remarks you've made IMO tells the story. First, I don't know how you expect to compete on numbers with the other gear guys or why you want to. They can cast & retrieve, and get their lures down much faster than you can, so they have the advantage in that regard. Even with a fast sinking line you still have to wait for the fly to get down to the same levels those other guys can get their lures.

Perhaps, in your desire to "compete" you're not concentrating on how to effectively fish your flies. To me, that would be the first consideration to change your success rate. Use what you've got to the utmost.

You didn't say how long your leaders/tippets are, but to get a fly down faster with sinking lines you generally have to go shorter, like 3' to 5' total. A straight leader/tippet is all you need for this. However, you have to take into consideration the possibility of spooking fish with the line if the waters clear. I would still start with the shorter section & go longer if necessary. But, if you do have to go longer, you have to also understand the flies going to take longer to sink. Add some current & that too complicates the situation.

All fishing methods have pros & cons & it's not always a fair comparison when doing so across the different methods. I know I can usually catch more fish on spinning or casting tackle than I can fly tackle, but I still enjoy using the fly tackle the most. Doesn't mean I can "compete" with others using other gear & I don't even try. I'm not fly fishing for that reason.

Perhaps you might consider the same.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have the proper gear for what you're doing.

The only other consideration I can think of is the size of the flies compared to what the other guys are using with lures. If they're having success with 4" lures for example, you may want to have flies of similar size & profile. IMO, it would not make good sense to be out there tossing flies that are considerably different in size in a case like that.

Of course the fish always tell us what they want, so have a variety & IMO the wider the variety you have in size the better your chances of having what they may want. That goes for sink rate too. All jig sizes don't sink at the same rate.
ditz and wolfglen like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:31 PM

tbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud of

My soon-to-be-father-in-law generally outfishes me for specks using an old gold or silver spoon on a quick retrieve.
What I've deduced is that they really respond to the flash, speed, and wobble of the spoon. He is getting a very reactionary bite as he cruises the spoon over a hole; the fish has no time to decide, it just has to hit or not.
Try lots of silver, pearl, or gold flash on your flies and keep them moving quickly, maybe even use a two handed retrieve after letting the fly sink a bit. Something like the curly tails might help as well. You could also try glass rattles in your flies, as the crankbaits your friends are using surely make some rattling noise. If the water is opaque, use deer hair headed flies to push some water and make some noise.
In murky everglades water I've had luck using electric chicken colors (hot pink and chartreuse), when fishing alongside shrimp-chuckers. Here in NC I've caught a few on white gurglers and white bunny flies (similar to a slumpbuster).
Your friends are throwing heavy lures that get down quick, don't be afraid to add some split shot above the fly, use heavy barbells, and a sinking line. Good luck and don't hit yourself on the back of the head with those barbell flies! (ask me how I know!)

Instagram page @tblom77
Old 05-10-2015, 02:01 PM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

BigJim is correct about the tackle. Fly gear is much better in shallow water and 6' is getting to max. as far as being the most productive and more shallow is better. You have proved it can be done just like there are fellas that fish walleye on the fly also but it is not the easiest nor the most productive. It sounds like you have been doing pretty well considering your method. It was mentioned that flashy was working well so tie up a hand full of flashy flies and use the two handed retrieve. Just the flash may work. Remember, the faster you fish the fly the faster it will actually rise from it's starting point and you may bring the fly up and out of the strike zone with a fast retrieve. If numbers is your game you may well have to dig out the spinning gear.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I have been going to LA to fish a could times a year for the last 3 years. The people I fish with are all gear chuckers (mostly rubbertail jigs and sometimes crankbaits) and they get a kick out of the guy with the Buggy Whip.

They love chasing Specs out by the oil rigs when I go out in the spring (next trip is the end of this month), and they do great, but I struggle to get even close to the numbers they get.

Anybody have any tips?
Remember, you have to THINK like a fish. Too many anglers make the cast and immediately start thinking about their next cast and are in a hurry to get the line in for their next cast. It's sub conscious, but it's there.

Think about where you want the fly to go, think about how the current will get it there. Think about how to cast to that spot with the line drag not affecting getting it thers.

Once it's there, concentrate on making the fly do exactly what the prey upon the fish is feeding on. That's the secret.

Jack
Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the tips guys. A few things.

1) I don't really need to match then in numbers, just looking for some tips for more success since this is kinda new to me and none of the people I fish with have any experience fly fishing for specs.

2) when we find them busting shrimp on the surface, I do well with a gurgler.

3) I fish out of bayou dularge and I know that there are some other fly fisherman down there, but I have never seen them. People treat me as an oddity.