The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 02:05 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Calming "green" saltwater fish for de-hooking

I just ran across a video by accident thatís pretty interesting, and the first time Iíve seen biologists talk about it. I donít remember how long ago I learned that itís easy to calm most relatively ďgreenĒ saltwater fish so that they donít hurt themselves or you.

I donít remember who told me about it either, but it was somebody much older than me a long time ago. It is not just sharks that this technique seems to work on.

Incidentally, the fish below was caught on a heavily weighted fly at the insistence of my buddy. We were sailfishing, drifting a live ballyhoo teaser and not having any luck raising sails. He'd been marking kinfish on sonar every drift, and insisted I sent a fly down to them weighted down with big split shot on an 8 wt. he keeps aboard.

He claimed that the commotion of a kingfish fight would stirr up the sails. That was the start of out 4th drift along the same line, and five minutes after the below pic, I hooked a sail he reised on the teaser. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. He knew I was not keen on wasting time when sailfishing. Early and late have always been the most productive times near the reef edge.

Click the image to open in full size.

The video below will start at a pertinent place Ė though the entire video is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...7kwIRak#t=1515

It might be worth a try on freshwater fish that have to be handled in order to be de-hooked.
smilingduck likes this.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:13 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calming "green" saltwater fish for de-hooking

Works great on trout as well.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Works great on trout as well.
Ive tried it numerous times with trout and for me, seemed to make no difference, except to maybe rile them up even more.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2015, 05:10 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Yep, works great, especially if you can put a soft wet chamois over their eyes.
I participated in yellowfin tuna tagging where we had to surgically implant a recording unit in their abdomen. Upside down, or on their sides for the big ones, eyes covered, completely docile. Darnest thing when you first see it.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:06 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

James that's interesting about laying them on their sides with eyes covered.

I've taken numerous pictures of my buddy Wayne with permit, just caught, that he lays on the sidewall cap while he digs out his camera to hand me for the picture. They never flop after the first half-hearted one, and these are big permit which swim off quickly as soon as he puts them back in the water.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:08 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

When I go Halibut fishing on the SF Bay first thing you have to do is lay them on their back and give that white belly a rub. That's the easy part getting the hook out without getting bitten is the hard part. Sorry I have to use live bait to catch Halibut! I'll repent one day....