Stripping basket WHY?

gc59

Reaction score
I just went back in time to read old forums about this topic. I couldn't find any reason why one would be worth carrying, so I ask why bother?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you fish from the bank where there are little bushes,brambles,branches.... when it's really muddy....when you step on your line all the time....:rolleyes:you'll find it useful:)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Though I've never heard of one being used for stream fishing, I suppose they could, however typically I have seen them used on big water, in that they help keep your line from getting tangled up around your feet, items on a boat deck or shore, and even when wading big water to keep your line from dragging due to water tension.

In a nutshell, if you're casting a long distance you'll need to strip in line, have it off the reel, then false cast it out a bit and "shoot" it. Same thing if you're fishing for predator species that chase their prey, really anything where stripped in line accumulates.

You'd never wind in your reel then strip it back off it to cast again, so as you strip it goes into the tub or basket, the nubs in the floor of it helps keep the line in loops so it doesn't tangle, and that helps keep it from being stepped on, or catching on something on the deck or ground.

Finally, water in and of itself is sticky so if the line was down in water and you went to shoot it, the water works like a brake and you'll not be able to shoot as far. Further I suppose, on moving water the situation is compounded even by the current which the line must then also fight to pull out of to shoot through the guides.

The downside is however having that tub hanging in front of you, but I suppose in the right situation, it would be worth it.

B.E.F.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never used one but I see a lot of guys fishing the salt use a stripping basket.

I just ordered a stripping apron for my pontoon boat. Same deal as Brad stated above, when you strip in line getting ready for the next cast that loose line has a tendency to wrap around anything in the boat, I can't wait to try it out.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I learned to use them in the salt. Then I used them in the boat. Trolling motor foot pedal, cleats, etc. Worked pretty well so I used it walking the banks to avoid those pesky little sticks and weeds. On another board, somebody said it was OK if I wanted to look like a dork. Meh, I've been called worse. It works. It only costs $5 and 10 minutes to make.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I've thought about it. I really don't want yet another thing to haul in and out which is why I haven't gotten one. But if you tend to cast longer distances, in moving water, and move around a lot it would sure make life easier. My line always finds anything possible to wrap itself around. Any tool hanging from my vest, and small stick, twig, branch etc that's submerged or partially sumbmerged. But by far my lines favorite is the hooks on your waders gravel gaurds. They always come off the boots 23 seconds after stepping in the water, then the fly line finds them exactly 2.8 seconds later, inevitably right before you shoot off that great, tight looped perfectly placed double haul...
EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

ratchet

Reaction score
I never leave home without mine when wading the flats. Why? Because if properly designed, keeps your fly line from tangling on the rocks or getting stepped on. It is especially helpful if you are making repeated long-distance casts to structure. It is not so helpful if you are only making the occasional cast to individual sighted fish and can hold your loose fly line.

It does take a while to get used to. That is probably why you read a lot of negative feedback on its use.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
In the first picture, you can see my stripping basket behind my back.
I'm using a floating line with fairly short casts and collecting the line in hand.

In the second I'm using a full sinking line and without the basket that line would be wrapping itself around my legs and pulling me out to sea. :eek:

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I always use my stripping basket in the salt and nearly always use it fishing still water. Line management and casting distance are greatly enhanced.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
The guys have covered the subject. About the only thing I’ll add to the " Why ? ", is that they are cheap & easy to make, simple to carry and use. So if you find yourself in the position where they could help, why not have one made up and ready to use?

Just thought the thread could use a few more S.B. shots.:thmbup:

Dave

mylobass

Reaction score
I have tried and tried for years be it at the beach, the flats, the swamp.....I cannot cope with wearing a basket. It takes all the enjoyment out of it for 'me'. So far no destroyed lines, no fish lost to tangles it works for me and I'm happy. In the surf here distance isn't part of the game. On the flats I'm fishing towards the mangroves, no great distance. I'm of majestic stature and appreciate the freedom from the bucket.

Bonefishdick

Reaction score
You did not say if you are are talking fresh or saltwater. In freshwater I don't use one but in salt it is an absolute must.

Try fishing the salt without one and in short order you would be able to answer your own question. There are those that say I can't use one, to me those are the guys that are more worried about their ego because they think they look silly. When I see you in the salt with the line constantly wrapping around your feet and getting tangled with weeds is really what looks silly.

Look at a stripping basket as a "cost avoidence tool" just keep stepping on your line in the water and on rocks. That is great for the line, buying a new one all the time costs more than one basket. It is very easy to just slide the basket arund behind you to get it out of the way when you need to.

A basket in a boat and on a beach increases your mobility ten fold. Try to move up a beach when fish start breaking 100 feet away and you have to try to move while dragging 70 to 80 feet of line.

I would suggest a basket without holes in it. The line sloshing around in the water tends to get tangled and that impedes casting distance at the worst times.:smile:

gc59

Reaction score
It does say Saltwater Fly Fishing at the top of the page doesn't it? No question answered, I still ask WHY?

fr8dog

Reaction score
You don't HAVE to use one. I use it for salty fish because I feel it helps me manage the line better. It goes in the basket, not swirling around my legs. It also helps clear the line through the guides by coming out of the basket clean with no loops. Fast running fish like bones and jacks pull a bunch of line out in seconds. Can I do it by hand? Yeah, probably. But why? It's just one less thing to think about. Makes my life a bit easier, and I'm the poster child for lazy. They're also handy little trays for stuff when you need a third hand. I like them. YMMV.

Last edited:

wjc

Reaction score
gc59 said:
I couldn't find any reason why one would be worth carrying, so I ask why bother?
gc59 said:
It does say Saltwater Fly Fishing at the top of the page doesn't it? No question answered, I still ask WHY?
What do you want, a numbered list with an annotated bibliography?

NICE looking fish and healthy looking water Trekker!

Last edited:

karstopo

Reaction score
I'm in the no category, although I've made one and have used it. Nothing about making me looking silly, I'm already skilled at that, but i find it interrupts my strip and I just haven't found it to be necessary in my general fishery. In my Commander, I strip the loose line at my feet and hardly ever Step on the line, fishing barefoot helps. Wading, I just deal with the pull of the water on the line. I lose a little distance, but rarely is it about distance. On a boat, I have gotten pretty good at stripping where the line goes where I want it to and away from entanglement. On shore, sometimes I have to prepare a spot by removing offending twigs and other obstructions or making adjustments to the playing field.

It's great if you like them, the stripping baskets, but I'm going to find another way to get it done, if possible. I'll use a basket only if there is no other way in sight. I just don't like a lot of gear on me. I don't wear packs or lanyards or anything like that either. To each his own.

dharkin

Reaction score
I use one when Striper fishing in New England most of the time. The ever present sea weed that gets caught in the small loops was enough to convince me to try one and I've never looked back. The more line that you allow to hit the water, the more time it takes you to react to a rising fish and the more false casts it takes to get your line OUT of the water. Want to catch some albies from the jetty? A stripping basket is the only way you can do it with a fly rod! Btw, if you make one, don’t drill “drain holes” for the water. The holes(while wading) also let water in and defeats the purpose of the basket. That's WHY I use one.

Here is a video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaY5pbPH_Gg

gc59

Reaction score
I use one when Striper fishing in New England most of the time. The ever present sea weed that gets caught in the small loops was enough to convince me to try one and I've never looked back. The more line that you allow to hit the water, the more time it takes you to react to a rising fish and the more false casts it takes to get your line OUT of the water. Want to catch some albies from the jetty? A stripping basket is the only way you can do it with a fly rod! Btw, if you make one, don’t drill “drain holes” for the water. The holes(while wading) also let water in and defeats the purpose of the basket. That's WHY I use one.

Here is a video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaY5pbPH_Gg
I disagree Ive caught Albies from a jetty and a stripping basket was not involved.

mtbusman

Reaction score
No question answered, I still ask WHY?
Reading through the thread, I think the question has been answered for both fresh and saltwater situations.

I wonder if the matter is simply that you remain unconvinced by what you have read. That's OK. If you don't want to use a basket, you don't have to. ;)