The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 02:23 PM

suzyhector is on a distinguished road
Default Reel for tarpon and bonefish?

So my dream is to start fishing bonefish and tarpon. Do you really need a Tibor/Hatch/Nautilus reel? They are soooo expensive. How will Lamson Liquid/Remix hold up for larger saltwater fish? Or maybee Sage 3200 series?

Last edited by suzyhector; 02-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:14 PM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel for tarpon and bonefish?

Welcome to the forum suzyhector.

I can't comment on those expensive reels, since I don't have them but do search the net for Danielsson reels. You'll be surprise with the costs.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Welcome to the forum suzyhector.

I can't comment on those expensive reels, since I don't have them but do search the net for Danielsson reels. You'll be surprise with the costs.
Yes, I am a Swede, so I'm very familiar with Danielsson Reels. WOuld you recommend the L5W 812 for Tarpon? Or is the H5D mandatory?

However, I really love Waterworks Lamson and their famous conical drag system. So which one of their reels is strong enough for tarpon and bonefish?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:39 PM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold

I am preaching to the choir

I don't know about Tarpon, since I bought the L5W 8Twelve for my steelhead/salmon spey rod and the L5w 4Seven for lighter inshore species like Reds and snooks. Perhaps you can contact Thomas, he was very quick to answer my questions and will direct you to the right reel.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I am preaching to the choir

I don't know about Tarpon, since I bought the L5W 8Twelve for my steelhead/salmon spey rod and the L5w 4Seven for lighter inshore species like Reds and snooks. Perhaps you can contact Thomas, he was very quick to answer my questions and will direct you to the right reel.
Tomas Danielsson is a very nice man, he had helped me before. Danielsson is really really good, basic no frills but full of performance. Almost like a Volvo, not very fun, but extremely functional at a good price.

However, I still feel a little bot mire adventurous than that and I'm thinking about WL and Sage reels
flytie09 and runningfish like this.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM

oldskewl808 is a jewel in the rougholdskewl808 is a jewel in the rougholdskewl808 is a jewel in the rough

The Lamson Litespeed 3 makes a great Bonefish reel for a 9' 6-weight rig. I have been using them for years, but they are a little too light for a 8-weight IMO. Check out Allen Fly Fishing. They have a great variety of reels from the Kraken to the Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM

jgraham is on a distinguished road

I have a Tiber Bonefish reel and a reddington Behemoth... For the price, the Behemoth is PHENOMINAL! Does everything a "High End" reel can do and more. Don't waste your money, it's simply not worth it. I've landed a few bones here in Hawaii on the Behemoth and the drag performed flawlessly. Don't buy into selling points, you're truly wasting your money. Your rod is FAR more important for the salt.
xvigauge likes this.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:50 PM

labradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant future

Where are you planning on fishing? That has a bearing on equipment suggestions. Do you already have a rod? That figures in too for reel suggestions. Are you looking at using one rod/reel for bonefish and juvie tarpon? Some do when they are starting out and it works fine.

If you are wanting a Sage, you might consider looking around for some of the leftover 8000 Series that were put on clearance. I'm sure there are still a few out there. Heck of a lot of reel for the money... It's big fish reel at a great price. I saw some earlier in the year for $300USD give or take.
sweetandsalt likes this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. __________________ In Hell the police are German, the cooks are British, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyhector View Post
So my dream is to start fishing bonefish and tarpon. Do you really need a Tibor/Hatch/Nautilus reel? They are soooo expensive. How will Lamson Liquid/Remix hold up for larger saltwater fish? Or maybee Sage 3200 series?
Hello, If you scroll down forum to Tackle then Reels, there is a thread currently lengthening about reel selection for a bonefish intended Scott Meridian. Regarding a modest priced but fine performing reel with intelligent saltwater design elements, there is also a commentary about two new reels observed at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show, both of which would be excellent flats reels, the Allen Atlas and Cheeky Limitless and, I will add another, the TFO Atoll. Despite my friend, oldskewel's comment above, I do not recommend the Lamson reels as I consider them too wide and shallow spooled, to flexible, especially in larger sizes and the conical drag too diminutive in sweep area and not sealed. Also, as Labrador pointed out astutely, the rod must come first as it will impose weight parameters for reel selection if you hope to achieve good balance in your outfit.
labradorguy likes this.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Hello, If you scroll down forum to Tackle then Reels, there is a thread currently lengthening about reel selection for a bonefish intended Scott Meridian. Regarding a modest priced but fine performing reel with intelligent saltwater design elements, there is also a commentary about two new reels observed at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show, both of which would be excellent flats reels, the Allen Atlas and Cheeky Limitless and, I will add another, the TFO Atoll. Despite my friend, oldskewel's comment above, I do not recommend the Lamson reels as I consider them too wide and shallow spooled, to flexible, especially in larger sizes and the conical drag too diminutive in sweep area and not sealed. Also, as Labrador pointed out astutely, the rod must come first as it will impose weight parameters for reel selection if you hope to achieve good balance in your outfit.
The rods I was intending to use is Guideline saltwater rods, since I am swedish, that brand is big here, and ofcourse is a swedish brand.

However, Waterworks Lamson reels have been redesigned to have narrower spools for faster line retrieve.

What I really wanted to know about the Liquid and Remix is 1. Is a pressure cast reel good enough? And is the Conical drag system good enough?

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

I must be blind! I didn't even see that there was a specific reel area!