The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 AM

vicman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 11wt Saltwater Rod

The company is located in Oregon (http://www.dancraftent.com/), regarding actual manufacturing I don’t know. All those components are included, I was interested in Loomis 4pc but that wasn’t available, the 3pc was (I checked on my own too). Additionally I had a verbal committed with the gentleman, and I couldn’t back out on my word. Regarding the reel, found a Danielsson (formerly Loop) LW 8/12 an extra spool, for a little more than what I’d pay for the Naut CCF 12 I was about to buy. Specs and apparent quality are very similar to the Naut, I couldn’t find a negative comment on either reel. When I have more time ($), I’ll buy a Teton, again couldn’t find a valid negative comment about the Teton (someone said one “froze” on him but he had not cleaned in a long time), and more importantly they seem to be inexpensive quality. The only reason I went for the LW first is because it was a good deal and with declining dollar I feared the price would increase soon. I’ll post picts when they get here and I get some time. Opinions? Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 11wt Saltwater Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicman View Post
The company is located in Oregon (http://www.dancraftent.com/), regarding actual manufacturing I don’t know. All those components are included, I was interested in Loomis 4pc but that wasn’t available, the 3pc was (I checked on my own too). Additionally I had a verbal committed with the gentleman, and I couldn’t back out on my word. Regarding the reel, found a Danielsson (formerly Loop) LW 8/12 an extra spool, for a little more than what I’d pay for the Naut CCF 12 I was about to buy. Specs and apparent quality are very similar to the Naut, I couldn’t find a negative comment on either reel. When I have more time ($), I’ll buy a Teton, again couldn’t find a valid negative comment about the Teton (someone said one “froze” on him but he had not cleaned in a long time), and more importantly they seem to be inexpensive quality. The only reason I went for the LW first is because it was a good deal and with declining dollar I feared the price would increase soon. I’ll post picts when they get here and I get some time. Opinions? Thanks again!
Nautilus CCF12 lists for 600 and you are paying more for LW with extra spool?...are you getting special PX pricing? cause if not and you are spending 600 to 700 for a tarpon reel then get a major league reel in FLA vast majority are Tibors or second place Abel...you can get an old model round hole Abel 4N or 4.5N for under 600...you can get a Tibor demo or secod Ripetide under 600 and Gulfstream under 700