The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM

flyflounder is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Saltwater Fly Line Question

I live in the Northeast and fish mostly from shore and a kayak for stripers and blues. Mostly in the Boston Harbor area, but also open beaches on the South and North Shore. I own an 8.5 ft 8 wt rod and have two lines, on separate spools, an 8wt WF floater and an 8wt WF intermediate. So far so good. This outfit works well for schoolies and fishing in sheltered waters.

I also own a medium fast 10wt 9.5 ft rod and so far have just one line for it, a 10 wt WF intermediate. I want to add a second line for the bigger rod and already have an extra spool for that reel. My question is, what type of line to buy?

I was looking at the Rio Striper DC line that would give me a real sinker to get down to fish in currents/deep water. However, I also enjoy fishing shallow/top water. My 10 wt intermediate does OK for that on the 10 wt rod , as long as I keep my retrieves fast, or fish slightly sub-surface. Should I just get the sinker for the 10 wt, or will I wish I'd looked into a versi-tip line that for a few bux more would also give me a true floater for the 10 wt along with sinking tips? I have no experience with versi-tips and really like a line that handles well.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Saltwater Fly Line Question

Don't you wish some manufacturer would come out with a double taper line with a intermediate / sinking line on one end & a floating line on the other end with loop connections on each end... It would make decisions like yours so much easier....... I have a floating line & a Teeny intermediate line for both my 8 wt & 10 wt. & manage to get along with that although I don't fish the salt that much. I went with a few guys to the cape for stripers & got talked into buying these lines a few years ago. Then I went on my first bonefish trip
& discovered that you need warm water lines !!! Will it ever end???