The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 AM

flycaster1 is on a distinguished road
Default Snook fly refusal - need help

Although I have been fly fishing for many years, I just got into inshore fishing for snook as they travel along the shoreline in my neighborhood - Boynton Beach/Jupiter, FL). The bait schools have been hanging heavy very close into shore and the snook are there almost all day long. I've only been at it for 3 days and have a lot to learn. Nonetheless, I've been sight catching and blind-cast catching snook using a both white and green/white 2" clouser type flies on a floating line.

Yesterday, the snook were there. Big mamas and groups of males. Although I did catch a few fish, I must have had at least 20 rejections. Follows right up to shore and then a turn-around. Whereas, using the same flies, the previous two days there were very few refusals. My line setup was with a 10-11' leader/tippet, flurocarbon. So, I figure that I need to know more about fly selection and how to strip...among other things. Open to all help. Although I have been fly fishing for many years, I just got into inshore fishing for snook as they travel along the shoreline in my neighborhood - Boynton Beach/Jupiter, FL). The bait schools have been hanging heavy very close into shore and the snook are there almost all day long. I've only been at it for 3 days and have a lot to learn. Nonetheless, I've been sight catching and blind-cast catching snook using a both white and green/white 2" clouser type flies on a floating line.

Yesterday, the snook were there. Big mamas and groups of males. Although I did catch a few fish, I must have had at least 20 rejections. Follows right up to shore and then a turn-around. Whereas, using the same flies, the previous two days there were very few refusals. My line setup was with a 10-11' leader/tippet, flurocarbon. So, I figure that I need to know more about fly selection and how to strip...among other things. Open to all help.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Snook fly refusal - need help

Hi flycaster1,

I am not the best source for catching Snook. I have caught them but never was real successful. It seems the conditions and flies were good one day but not the next. In these circumstances you need to change up. The fish are chasing the fly but not taking. Change your speed to faster or slower. Change the size to bigger or smaller. Change color to something else. I like Chartreuse and white besides the green and white you are using. Does your Clouser look like the picture below. Bob Clouser swears that the sparkle along the sides has to extend beyond the tail like the picture? Have you tried two hand stripping to speed up the retrieve? Sometimes that is the only way to get the fly fast enough.

Maybe someone who fishes Snook more than I do will stop by with just the right answer.

Frank

Bob Clouser Minnow
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Does your Clouser look like the picture below. Bob Clouser swears that the sparkle along the sides has to extend beyond the tail like the picture?

Sort of, but I didn't tie the wings as narrow as i wanted a bigger profile. As for sparkle, I do use a few strands of it on either side. Interestingly, as I have been gaining knowledge from other forums, also, some don't use sparkle and don't use weighted flies.

Have you tried two hand stripping to speed up the retrieve? Sometimes that is the only way to get the fly fast enough.

I don't think speed is the answer here. Many have suggested sort of slower strips...which is difficult with weighted flies

Maybe someone who fishes Snook more than I do will stop by with just the right answer.

Frank

Bob Clouser Minnow
Click the image to open in full size.
Frank, thanks for yor help, Adam
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

You'd be surprised at how often fish actually want a faster retrieve. I've Had fish ignore what i thought was a fast retrieve. Then I make a bad cast and reel it in about as fast as I could just to get another cast in I often catch fish.

Try beadchain eyes to slow the sink rate also. And thinner tied clousers tend to move more in the water than a thicker one.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Snook fly refusal - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
You'd be surprised at how often fish actually want a faster retrieve. I've Had fish ignore what i thought was a fast retrieve. Then I make a bad cast and reel it in about as fast as I could just to get another cast in I often catch fish.

Try beadchain eyes to slow the sink rate also. And thinner tied clousers tend to move more in the water than a thicker one.
BTW, I do agree that the fast retrieve will often trigger takes, also. I guess as a newbie to snook fishing, I'll just ahve to try a lot of different approaches until I get the right response.

Last edited by flycaster1; 09-11-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 AM

Been away from the beach during the week of the recent hurricane that swept north, but certainly boiled up the waters down here. Well, it seems that things have died down and the bait fish are back. Was on the shore yesterday and not only were the bait fish there, but so were the snook. This time I was ready, a mess of flies and 20# fluro shock tippet. Within two hours of fishing, I must have cast to possibly 50-75 different snook. Blind casting was out of the question as there were too many good shots at sighted fish to waste time blind casting.

I actually was making very good casts, and most of the fish were actually either ignoring the flies or following and not taking. I was changing flies furriously in an effort to find just what would entice these lock-jawed fish. Anyway, I got lucking on three occasions. The first two were break-offs due to a 20# shock tippet. The one I did land, was on a 50# fluro. Personally, I don't think it was the shock tippet that casued the few takes, but rather the flies or my striping technique, or the fishs' piciness with all the bait around. Anyway, being able to throw at so many sighted fish within two hours was world class fishing, IMO; and, I had a blast.

Last edited by flycaster1; 09-12-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM

nedun is on a distinguished road

The most effective retrieve for snook in the conditions you describe is a non-jerky smooth steady speed; you may vary the speed to find the most effective retrieve rate.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 PM

davet140 is on a distinguished road

Dude, sometimes snook will refuse anything you throw at them.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM

clarkman23 is on a distinguished road

I can't really help you with anything other than what others have already stated....change up retrieves, then fly.

but, that sounds like a blast whichever way you cut it.