The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 AM

banjominnow is a jewel in the roughbanjominnow is a jewel in the roughbanjominnow is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenweight View Post
Sage Salt rods are on closeout for $350 in a number of places. I've never cast the higher weights, but like my Salt 9-weight a lot (better than my Scott Meridian 8, for example).
Not to hijack this thread but where do you see Salts for $350?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM

pnc is a jewel in the roughpnc is a jewel in the roughpnc is a jewel in the rough

Still in NY , looking quick before everyone is up.

Had to look back for purpose.

Recently got Pro II for friend starting out. Main reason was to have quicker learning curve to casting line.
If a fast action tip flex is what your looking for to start. Learning to be proficient at casting may take longer.
However I have or have used rods mentioned by others in prior posts.
TiCr (with no x) is what led to the TiCrx. A better rod for what intention of rod is.
GL 3's caught my attention. They are good rods. For whatever my disfunction is, I've shortened both of mine by 6"s.
Close out rods are a good source for rods. The Sage rods mentioned are not as fast as the TiCrx. If you can find older Sage XP's or even older RPL+'s. You have as fast Sage. Unless you get a bit crazy and get a Sage X. Costly, but fastest from Sage since XP.

If possible I would recomend trying as many choices as possible. Side by side (again if possible) so you understand feel of each.

......... pc
Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 PM

sevenweight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjominnow View Post
Not to hijack this thread but where do you see Salts for $350?
... in fact I didn't. I glanced too quickly at the offer and it is $550, with savings of $320. Clearly outside the OP's target price range. Sorry for any inconvenience. Here's the page, anyway: https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/p...m_medium=email
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM

brokeoff will become famous soon enoughbrokeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenweight View Post
... in fact I didn't. I glanced too quickly at the offer and it is $550, with savings of $320. Clearly outside the OP's target price range. Sorry for any inconvenience. Here's the page, anyway: https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/p...m_medium=email
They have been on sale for $499 online. A few months ago I picked up a used Salt, never actually used and not registered for $425. I would imagine that because they have been discontinued you could get them used, but never actually used for around $400.

I just keep a list of rods I want and when they come up on the auction site sometimes I can get a rod with warranty card at a steep discount.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:11 PM

fq13 is a splendid one to beholdfq13 is a splendid one to beholdfq13 is a splendid one to beholdfq13 is a splendid one to beholdfq13 is a splendid one to beholdfq13 is a splendid one to beholdfq13 is a splendid one to behold

I live down here too. I have a Loomis Gl3 in a 2 pc ten weight and it's served me well, I would recommend looking at that used one on offer. I also have a Reddington predator in #8 and it's an awesome rod. The thing is though, I generally find myself using a #8 or a #6 while the ten weight stays home. If you are after big tarpon or Bonita or chase cudas or spinners off shore maybe think about a #12. A ten weight is a good rod, but I mostly get it out when it's windy as a #8 is a lot more fun to cast all day. Your reel will work with any of those lines, just think about the extra weight of the ten versus the size fish you plan on catching. The ten is great throwing clousers and deceivers in the wind, but is it a bit heavy. Whichever you go with, let me STRONGLY recommend RIO OUTBOUND tropical (make sure it's tropical) WF line. It shoots beautifully and will turn over a big fly. It's pricy, but worth every penny.
Good luck.