The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is this?

Just when you think that you've seen 'em all.

Those guys must just live on the east coast?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

I had no idea what I was pulling up.Didnt really want to touch it.Now I have been educated.Wont be such a sissy next time.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM

dt doug will become famous soon enoughdt doug will become famous soon enough

Will never forget the first one I caught. Was fishing for flounder in Rye Harbor, NH.with the old man. I think I was 7. "I got one Dad!" Over the side of the boat came a sea robin. Back over the side went the sea robin along with the rod and reel! Dad spent some time trying to foul hook an out of sight rod and I sulked in the bow. I'm glad to be a little taller now so I can see what's come over the side before it's in the boat!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by patyer View Post
Never thought one would smack a rapala like the one in the pic.
Honestly, if I my life depended on it and I had to choose one piece of artificial bait to exist on, I'd pick that Original Rapala, in silver. It'll catch darn near anything.

Sep
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dt doug--- great story! They do look pretty scary.

Jimmy - there are a bunch of different species worldwide, and some folks refer to them as "gunards". Here in the Northeast the "common sea robin" is pretty widespread and often caught when fishing for fluke (summer flounder), striped bass and other fish when fishing on the bottom using bait. It's considered a trash fish by most. But as Sandfly mentioned the meat along the spine is said to be delicious and strips cut from the belly skin make a great tough, fluttering addition (like Uncle Josh pork rind) to hooks when using softer baits that tend to get stolen by crabs etc.

They are ugly, and the spines along the dorsal fin have a mild venom that can cause a while for punctures to heal if you get poked. Generally it's a good idea to have a pair of pliers or dehooker of some sort to remove hooks-- and the same waters are also bluefish territory so add another reason to carry pliers (blues have teeth that can do some damage).
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Honestly, if I my life depended on it and I had to choose one piece of artificial bait to exist on, I'd pick that Original Rapala, in silver. It'll catch darn near anything.

Sep
Yeah, its a great lure.I have been catching quite a few schoolies(18" or so) with that and a 7 ft Shimano bass rod.Lots of fun.Couple of blues too, but small.