The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default What is this?

Click the image to open in full size.
Caught in norwalk ct.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is this?

That's a "sea robin"--- quite common along the eastern seaboard- Usually they're caught by folks fishing bait on the bottom, but they'll whack lures, tins and flies occasionally too. They're basically scavengers, and most folks consider them "trash fish"--- but some keep them and eat the meat in the tail which is said to be pretty tasty (white flesh, not oily) but i've never eaten one.

Great looking fish huh?-- they look like they were designed by a committee.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

They look like a cross between a catfish and a bird of paradise. Are the safe to handle.They have a lot of dodgy looking tentacles.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

yes, just be careful to grab them behind the "wings" (pectoral fins), and fold down the dorsal fin before you pick them up. (They have sharp spines on the dorsal and pectoral fins that can stick you if you pick them up when the fin is raised). Those "tentacles" are actually the ventral fins that have evolved to act like legs--- sea robins are generally found on the bottom, and they can sort of walk along on those "legs" like a lobster. But as you see they will swim up to nail flies, plugs or tins (usually in shallow water).
Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road

Caught a bunch of them when I was younger bottom fishing off the Jersey coast. Never thought one would smack a rapala like the one in the pic.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Ran into a old friend on a Rhode Island beach last fall, so we fished the surf together just yards apart so that we could chat.
While I caught a few stripers, all he was picking up were sea robins.... one after another. LMFAO
Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Poor guy. They arent exactly race horses.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Another sea robin story.... I hope you can picture this

A couple of autumns ago I was out in my kayak fishing a blitz. Small bluefish on peanutbunker. There was maybe 10 or a dozen cormorants taking advantage of the frenzy. At one point a cormorant pops up right next to my kayak about an arms length away. About half way down the bird's throat was lodged a small sea robin. You could tell exactly what it was as the shape was obvious.... right down to those "wings" sticking straight out sideways in the cororant's throat
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

What a totally cool looking fish!

Kelly.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

The back meat along the spine is delious. my lab likes to play with them for hours. also good strip bait for stripers and such.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..