The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 AM

lucy is on a distinguished road
Default satellite/cocoa beach area

so i ve only been living down in this area for about 2 months now. but i already plan on doing lots of fishing in the area. I was curious if anyone knew if cuda ran in the satellite beach area.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: satellite/cocoa beach area

There is a book called "Indian River Flats Fishing Guide" that has arial photographs of the whole area showing roads, public access spots, etc. Sort of must have if you are going to do much fishing.
And...if you're new to the area, the redfish in Mosquitto Lagoon is generally held to be world class. There is snook at Sebastian Inlet, both the inlet and back water, plus tarpon. Trout pretty much everywhere. So if cuda is your interest great but there is a lot of other really good fishing in the area. Have fun.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 PM

lucy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, ill check out that book. I was planning on fishing for alot of the other fish in the area, I just really want to land me a cuda. I'm from up in Maine, where there really isn't alot of large game fish like that. While home i mostly fished for stripped bass on a spinning rod, till I found fly fishing and then it was all inland fishing in rivers streams and lakes. This will be my first opportunity to try saltwater fly fishing so I'm really excited for this weekend.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 AM

Flats Guide is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but there's no Barracuda in the Indian or Banana Rivers; down by Sebastian Inlet you may find some small ones in the river just inside the inlet. Most are offshore and would be very hard to target.

The good news we have many other inshore/shallow water fish available, like red drum, black drum, spotted sea trout, snook, and tarpon.